Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
timbee

Adam Marriott departs

Look up, look up, look up now,
It's a long way down
2002-3 Prediction League Champion
WillesdenBee

Re: Adam Marriott departs

All comes down to not putting an option to extend in his contract because he was over 30. Really disappointing
CrawleyBee

This speaks volumes. Players just don’t want to stay at Barnet. Wonder what money we actually offered him? Big blow this.
Formerly Watfordbee
DSM

Disappointing. TK should have offered an extension in feb, we knew enough then.

Where he goes will be very telling if it’s somewhere like Southend fair enough as they will offer significantly more. If Bwood that speaks volumes that we’ve fallen behind them.
thebeekeeper

Broadfieldbee wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 09:09 This speaks volumes. Players just don’t want to stay at Barnet. Wonder what money we actually offered him? Big blow this.
There's little doubt that players don't want to stay at the club – and I think everyone can make their own mind up about why that is.

However, in this instance there may not be too much we could have done about it – ultimately if we offer him X amount and another club comes in with a much bigger offer (which will take a significant chunk out of our budget), it's a no-brainer that Marriott would take it (whether he has enjoyed it at Barnet or not), especially at his age.

This may just be one where we have to accept our diminished spending power, and hope that DB has a top quality replacement lined up.
b4life

Also, bear in mind that a lot of people on here weren't very impressed with his signing in the first place and he took a while to start scoring regularly. The lack of a year's option certainly now seems short-sighted now though. Some you win, some you lose. Time to move on and hope DB has something up his sleeve. Two decent signings so far plus Sam Beard. I expect several more soon too.
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
11bee717

At Christmas I don’t think anyone would’ve been too fussed if he had gone. In regards to Eastleigh, he used to play there so if the deals offered were similar that’s potentially why he moved there.
WillesdenBee

Signed for Bromley. Reunited with Bloomfield. Marriott and Michael Cheek will form a deadly partnership this season
hoofer2

WillesdenBee wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 10:28 Signed for Bromley. Reunited with Bloomfield. Marriott and Michael Cheek will form a deadly partnership this season
I was really surprised when Ebbsfleet collapsed we did not go for Cheek. Reliable at this level
jlay72

WillesdenBee wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 10:28 Signed for Bromley. Reunited with Bloomfield. Marriott and Michael Cheek will form a deadly partnership this season
Not seen this on their website or twitter?
jlay72

Defintely a blow but not irreplacable. Onus on TK and DB to find a suitable replacement. I'm fairly sure this was not the biggest surprise to them based on DB's interview at the end of the last game of the season.

Probably the most important signing or signings of the season.
becbee

We can offer players contracts / contract extensions. We can't force them to sign.
We could have offered him a longer contract when we signed him - just like we've done with other players only to regret remaining stuck with them. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
First half of the season he wasn't the player he showed himself to be later in the season. Who's to say he'll not slip back again next season? OK so I don't expect he will either - but it could happen.
Ultimately the club did what they could to keep him, he chose to move on.
antbfc

becbee wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 11:27 We can offer players contracts / contract extensions. We can't force them to sign.
We could have offered him a longer contract when we signed him - just like we've done with other players only to regret remaining stuck with them. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
First half of the season he wasn't the player he showed himself to be later in the season. Who's to say he'll not slip back again next season? OK so I don't expect he will either - but it could happen.
Ultimately the club did what they could to keep him, he chose to move on.
Very much in agreement. Also, he may not be DB's signing so he may prefer a different style. Majority of us would not have been fussed if he was released in January '21.

I am however surprised he's gone to Bromley, i believe they are bankrolled but not to a major extent.

Him and Bloomfield reunited again, although i suspect it will be him and Michael Cheek starting.

We move on - this isn't like losing Akinde!
JWTBee

Yes - let's keep a little bit of perspective about this! Sad but not irreplaceable.
I love Luisma & really miss his skils!
DerekRocholl

JWTBee wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 11:39
Yes - let's keep a little bit of perspective about this! Sad but not irreplaceable.
Admire the positivity but thus far there is no sign that we are likely to see improvements to a squad that performed fairly poorly last season, and based on the latest comings and goings the trend seems to be in the opposite direction.
Let’s hope a pile of cash is being held to engage some quality signings before long.