Adam Marriott departs

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Roy57

Re: Adam Marriott departs

jlay72 wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 11:19 Defintely a blow but not irreplacable. Onus on TK and DB to find a suitable replacement. I'm fairly sure this was not the biggest surprise to them based on DB's interview at the end of the last game of the season.

Probably the most important signing or signings of the season.
I agree Adam Marriott is not irreplaceable but he is when we know 1/ players don't want to come to us, and 2/ TK won't lay out the budget needed to bring in a better striker than Marriott. If we cannot keep a p!ayer who is 30 years old, and who it was reported wanted to stay, then what chance have we got in bringing in better quality players than we had last year, If DB has money to bring in maybe one of even two top quality players why would they sign knowing the rest are low budget players. Can only see another struggle this season. Just hope we have enough or can bring in decent signings to avoid being in relegation fight.
jlay72

Roy57 wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 11:53
jlay72 wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 11:19 Defintely a blow but not irreplacable. Onus on TK and DB to find a suitable replacement. I'm fairly sure this was not the biggest surprise to them based on DB's interview at the end of the last game of the season.

Probably the most important signing or signings of the season.
I agree Adam Marriott is not irreplaceable but he is when we know 1/ players don't want to come to us, and 2/ TK won't lay out the budget needed to bring in a better striker than Marriott. If we cannot keep a p!ayer who is 30 years old, and who it was reported wanted to stay, then what chance have we got in bringing in better quality players than we had last year, If DB has money to bring in maybe one of even two top quality players why would they sign knowing the rest are low budget players. Can only see another struggle this season. Just hope we have enough or can bring in decent signings to avoid being in relegation fight.
I think we need to wait and see what develops before we can take an opinion. The players we bring in will be indiciative of where we'll end up. A striker or two who can add 15-20 goals in a season is a must and for me where we now have a gap. I've been happy with the two additions so far so let's see what happens next but it's fair to say today's news is what we feared. Hopefully we have a plan of action to cover this off.
peterstebbings

I regularly see a clamour on Twitter for an Akinde return to Barnet, but not for me. He’ll always be one of our favourite players but take the emotion out of it and it wouldn’t be a great signing.

Put it like this: if we signed a journeyman forward who turns 33 next month and scored three goals in 36 games last season and wasn’t called John Akinde, I’m don’t think anyone would be too delighted.
Beesting

Not too bothered by his departure to be honest. What does concern me is the fact that Bromley can offer a lot more than us.
hoppy

Do players at NL level get signing on fees?
If so, that could be as a big a factor in a player moving on as the wages he receives.
PurleyBee

Beesting wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 12:10 Not too bothered by his departure to be honest. What does concern me is the fact that Bromley can offer a lot more than us.
Coffers bolstered by their Wembley appearance Infront of a decent crowd I'd imagine.
beew

PurleyBee wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 13:49
Beesting wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 12:10 Not too bothered by his departure to be honest. What does concern me is the fact that Bromley can offer a lot more than us.
Coffers bolstered by their Wembley appearance Infront of a decent crowd I'd imagine.

I believe they made £100k from the competition but I can’t find any news that he’s gone to Bromley
Bee_Forever

Had a good finish to the season but I am not sure he is an ideal fit in to the team Brennan is looking to build.

His stature hold up play and first touch were not all that and Brennan favoured Powell over him on a number of occasions.

I think playing off a target man striker he will continue to score goals and it's definitely a shame we didn't have an option to retain him but I don't go in for the wailing and the gnashing of teeth I am seeing on social media about his departure.

As long as we replace him with a good quality striker I will be happy.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Itsmeerc

Bee_Forever wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 14:30 Had a good finish to the season but I am not sure he is an ideal fit in to the team Brennan is looking to build.

His stature hold up play and first touch were not all that and Brennan favoured Powell over him on a number of occasions.

I think playing off a target man striker he will continue to score goals and it's definitely a shame we didn't have an option to retain him but I don't go in for the wailing and the gnashing of teeth I am seeing on social media about his departure.

As long as we replace him with a good quality striker I will be happy.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Interesting to hear this take as I was always fairly impressed by his first touch and hold up play, which at times I thought belied his stature. Agree with the rest of your post though, his loss will only hurt us if we fail to adequately replace him.
becbee

Confirmed now on Bromley O.S. that he's signed for them.
thebeekeeper

Confirmed that he has been signed by Bromley:

https://twitter.com/bromleyfc/status/15 ... 1879804929

This is quite damning, in terms of the decline of Barnet FC I think.

That's not a slight on Bromley, who appear to be a well run, upwardly mobile club. But this essentially shows that we are a less attractive option than a team who aren't even one of the National League's big boys.

I just wonder how it's come to this. When I first started watching the Bees we were competing in the League Two play-offs against Colchester and Peterborough. Now we're a bottom third National League team budget-wise. All while supporters are paying £400 season tickets (remember Bromley doing a £99 flash sale earlier this summer?) and The Hive is supposed to generate additional revenue that we wouldn't have had at Underhill.

Well, none of that seems to really be leading to any significant budget for DB to spend, does it?

I don't mean to be unnecessarily negative here, because I do think that Brennan has a plan and that he can start to build something. But it just really struck me today that we (as a fanbase) are remarkably apathetic to the direction Barnet have been heading in – arguably since the mid-90s, but certainly since our last relegation. Not playing in Barnet, diminishing crowds, a low budget, a lack of success on the pitch... I could go on.

Somehow signing a Dover Athletic centre-back while Marriott goes to a team like Bromley feels somewhat symbolic of that.
Norfolkbee

thebeekeeper wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 16:30 Confirmed that he has been signed by Bromley:

https://twitter.com/bromleyfc/status/15 ... 1879804929

This is quite damning, in terms of the decline of Barnet FC I think.

That's not a slight on Bromley, who appear to be a well run, upwardly mobile club. But this essentially shows that we are a less attractive option than a team who aren't even one of the National League's big boys.

I just wonder how it's come to this. When I first started watching the Bees we were competing in the League Two play-offs against Colchester and Peterborough. Now we're a bottom third National League team budget-wise. All while supporters are paying £400 season tickets (remember Bromley doing a £99 flash sale earlier this summer?) and The Hive is supposed to generate additional revenue that we wouldn't have had at Underhill.

Well, none of that seems to really be leading to any significant budget for DB to spend, does it?

I don't mean to be unnecessarily negative here, because I do think that Brennan has a plan and that he can start to build something. But it just really struck me today that we (as a fanbase) are remarkably apathetic to the direction Barnet have been heading in – arguably since the mid-90s, but certainly since our last relegation. Not playing in Barnet, diminishing crowds, a low budget, a lack of success on the pitch... I could go on.

Somehow signing a Dover Athletic centre-back while Marriott goes to a team like Bromley feels somewhat symbolic of that.
Well said that man.
KneesBees99

wouldn't be Barnet FC if there wasn't a ton of overreaction.

Marriott was an average NL striker who hit a purple patch. He is 30 and would most likely not have scored more than 10 next season.

It defies belief that anyone thinks our Managerial set up don't already bloody know we need striker or two. Its only mid-june for Christ sake.

Losing Marriott does not mean we are in decline. Wake up or shut up
Ajtheone04

It's as gutting that he's gone to Bromely as it is that he's left, believe that's everyone who made 40+ appearances last year bar ephron gone now?
It's a hard one to take, I agree with those who say we should've acted quicker but I also agree with those who say he wasn't looking like anything extraordinary in February-March time
But there are plenty of forwards who've scored plenty of goals in non league, it's just up to DB, TK and Co. To identify and bring in the right one
Norfolkbee

Spodothebee wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 16:49 wouldn't be Barnet FC if there wasn't a ton of overreaction.

Marriott was an average NL striker who hit a purple patch. He is 30 and would most likely not have scored more than 10 next season.

It defies belief that anyone thinks our Managerial set up don't already bloody know we need striker or two. Its only mid-june for Christ sake.

Losing Marriott does not mean we are in decline. Wake up or shut up
Football fans are truly a fickle bunch. Players are praised to the rooftops when they are here, but suddenly become "average" and easily replaced when they leave.