Signings so far

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Roy57

Re: Signings so far

I agree with posts above, players who have played loads of games last season and not in medical room. Players he knows and trusts, have read a few posts who felt that Marriott was ok but nothing special, same said about Taylor, if some supporters believe we will be bringing in better quality players throughout the team are in for a shock. With our attendances dropping each season, and if the season ticket price remains the same ( I know the supporters association are in talks with TK about this ) then this won't improve at £400. Were Bromley were doing a season ticket for £97. Don't know details but would imagine they would be popular.
hoofer2

We stand a chance of a proper pre-season - with squad established before pre-season friendlies begin - with players playing as a cohesive team from match 1.

A top half of table and run in the trophy should be achievable.

Think this is promising compared to previous seasons and am looking fwd to PSFs.

If Hall and Powell are fully fit, think we need a pacy winger/striker - like a Ritchie Graham or Micky Tomlinson ( he did not score but caused chaos when he came on! )

As for EMC - I have seen no evidence that he's not happy at Barnet - there is hope he will remain especially as he improved a lot last season in spite of all

The continuity of same starters from outset is really going to help.
Spodothebee

The squad is shaping up nicely.
The players that are coming in have worked with Brennan before and know how he operates. They might not all be the most exciting but the foundations and the spine are there. We just need a couple more creative players, then I’d be happy for the rest to come on trial for the friendlies.

The existing squad has a lot more talent there than people give credit for. Hall and Powell, if both fully 100% fit, would do a job in a league 2 side. Woods is highly thought of in the EFL, just needs to nail down his position. We have a good pair of full backs in Beard and Thomas.

I also would be happy if we took a couple of players in after a few games, players looking for a league club but didn’t find one etc.

If we can have 80/90% of the squad in place by pre season then we will be in a far better position come the first game of the season. I hope, or rather expect, that we will be further up the table than last year. If the nucleus gels, and we can potentially add extra quality throughout the season, that 7th place spot isn’t beyond the realms of possibility.
ninestein

We're already in a much stronger position compared to the last 2 seasons. The majority of the squad will be turning up for pre-season training on day 1. None of them will be trying to play catch-up having signed on the eve of the season.

Darren Currie was the last manager to have the luxury of a "full-ish" squad for pre-season, and at the start of the campaign it showed. We were ready.

To me, the signings seem to make sense. DB is leaning on players he trusts to graft for him and the cause. There should be no excuse in the coming months that the players are not up for the challenge. It all comes down to the football. Keeping players injury free and using the right tactics. Grind out the results and break the vicious cycle. Be involved at the top of the table and we increase our fans, and better players will show an interest in signing for us.

There are a few gaps to fill, and I'm sure we'll fill them very soon. I like the fact we've sorted the GK and defensive positions early. With one new forward into the building, we're getting close.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
pgbee

Let's see where we are after the inevitable PSF injuries...
BigBee

pgbee wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 12:28 Let's see where we are after the inevitable PSF injuries...
Happy Soul, ain’t ya. :geahh:
pgbee

BigBee wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 13:43
pgbee wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 12:28 Let's see where we are after the inevitable PSF injuries...
Happy Soul, ain’t ya. :geahh:
too many years of false dawns and optimism sadly...
Tuesds

hoofer2 wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 16:55
As for EMC - I have seen no evidence that he's not happy at Barnet - there is hope he will remain especially as he improved a lot last season in spite of all
Interestingly Peterborough today signed a pacy, powerful young right-winger from a lower division club… David Ajiboye from Sutton United. The Posh manager also says that their squad is ‘complete’. So that’s one likely candidate club seemingly off the list of potential purchasers for Mason-Clark.
Ajtheone04

Tuesds wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 21:33
hoofer2 wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 16:55
Interestingly Peterborough today signed a pacy, powerful young right-winger from a lower division club… David Ajiboye from Sutton United. The Posh manager also says that their squad is ‘complete’. So that’s one likely candidate club seemingly off the list of potential purchasers for Mason-Clark.
The EMC situation seems good but bad at the same time.
On one hand it's good that our brightest creative prospect who DB thinks is too good for this league is staying
On the other hand he only has a year left on his contract and every passing month where he doesn't leave decreases the fee clubs would be willing to pay for him and increases the chance he just leaves for compo at the end of his contract
pletch99

Ajtheone04 wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 06:46 On the other hand he only has a year left on his contract and every passing month where he doesn't leave decreases the fee clubs would be willing to pay for him and increases the chance he just leaves for compo at the end of his contract
I believe he will be 24 when his contract expires at the end of next season and therefore no compensation will be due if he signs for another club next close season. I'd be surprised if we get a big fee for EMC as clubs know that they can wait a year and get him for free. It will just depend on whether anyone wants him badly now.
becbee

His DOB is 25th August 1999 so he'll be a couple of months short of 24 when his contract expires - so we would get compensation for him. I have my doubts that the size of the transfer fee we could get for him now would be worth losing a season of his playing for us.
pauln50

CambsBee wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 08:26 Agree with this. We live 15 minutes from Bedford in St Neots and I had pencilled in the friendly to take my sons as it is so close and as a way appeasing my wife as we will be home by 1730, at the latest. Looking forward to it now and what other players DB brings in.

As I live in Bedford I am going to this as well but your wife may be disappointed as the game does not kick off till 7.45
DSM

I think the signings so far provide a welcome solid base but to challenge we need the wow factor signings to complement them.

Often 2003 has been quoted as a similar re-build period but even back then bringing in Hendon from the FL having seen how strong he was whilst on loan the previous season and Graz were our wow signings. Back in 2014-15 Lee Cook and McDonald who were integral to our great start along with akinde provided that X factor.

We also need to bear in mind we’ve lost our top scorer and player of the year, our most consistent defender BRE (Beard was injured too often), EMC our most creative threat will leave and H.

So I’m positive on the whole with the signings thus far and think they will help address our defensive frailty although I question whether the fact that so many are ex Brennan players is a reflection on our inability to attract real talent to the Hive or the lack of scouting network/willingness to look outside the box with signings. Whilst ex players are better known they don’t always succeed as was witnessed by DB with Brundle last year and by HK with Tasdemir and Doherty.

I hope the next few signings are players that we can get excited about.
ninestein

I think an element of realism is required. After all. What would an Xfactor signing look like at this level?
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
DSM

We’ve proved with good scouting it’s possible in the past. In 2003 our attendances were lower, there was no supplementary Hive income and we had no parachute monies and we signed Hendon a proven FL 31 year old and Graz a proven goal scorer as part of a swap deal. We knew they were quality signings at the time. Didn’t appreciate how good king and Plummer wld be but those we did.

Even last year we brought in Mazza a proven NLS scorer who was in great shape and then latterly Hall and Powell proven quality FL players albeit injury plagued (accept the later hasn’t worked out so far).

So what would an x-factor signing look like an up and coming exciting NLS player, a FL player newly released with a solid record of games played who could make a difference a division down or one of the NL players out of contract because they want a move (Max Kretzschmer) not an older released player whos legs are going (say Abu Ogogo from Southend).

We’ve lost Mazza to Bromley, a few years ago they were loaning our reserves and Cox to Woking.

I don’t think this is too much to ask. Whilst I get there are budget constraints I don’t think our expectations need be that low that we can’t have a few signings where we invest a bit more that get fans excited and help with season tickets and generating interest.