Ronnie Edwards

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
antbfc

Ronnie Edwards

Playing for England U-19's tonight.

Henry Winter talking him up on Twitter - surely Peterborough can't hang on to him this summer?

His sale would swell the coffers nicely for DB.
pletch99

Re: Ronnie Edwards

antbfc wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 12:58 His sale would swell the coffers nicely for DB.
I hope this is right. It's been widely supposed that we had a sell on clause of some description. However, my understanding is that he wasn't under contract with Barnet and could therefore sign for Peterborough. I could believe they added a very small sell on as a gesture of goodwill.

Has anyone ever seen any official confirmation that such a sell on exists?
Tuesds

pletch99 wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 13:01
antbfc wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 12:58 His sale would swell the coffers nicely for DB.
I hope this is right. It's been widely supposed that we had a sell on clause of some description. However, my understanding is that he wasn't under contract with Barnet and could therefore sign for Peterborough. I could believe they added a very small sell on as a gesture of goodwill.

It’s also my understanding that the ‘transfer fee’ Posh paid us was a goodwill measure, with Barnet having no claim to retain his registration due to the closure of the academy (no idea if any of my terminology is right here, but I think that was broadly the situation).

If that was the case, I’d be very surprised if there was a generous sell-on fee if indeed any sell-on fee, because it’s one thing for Peterborough to spend £50-100k (I’m guessing?) as a one-off goodwill gesture and quite another to forego potentially millions from a future transfer fee by adding a sell-on fee that they have no reason to agree to.
thebeekeeper

pletch99 wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 13:01

We don't tend to publish these things, but I believe that we do typically include significant sell-on clauses when we sell players to larger clubs.

Edwards may have been out of contract, but we would still have been due a fee / sell on clause of some kind via a tribunal, because of his age.

Presumably Barnet and Peterborough just came to an arrangement independently, to avoid that process.
Tuesds

thebeekeeper wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 13:09
Edwards may have been out of contract, but we would still have been due a fee / sell on clause of some kind via a tribunal, because of his age.

Presumably Barnet and Peterborough just came to an arrangement independently, to avoid that process.
I don’t think that applied in this case because, as I understood it, he never signed a senior professional contract with us.

This is all based on my memory of the statements put out at the time in relation to the ‘transfers’ of Edwards and of Hercules to Brentford, so I may be wrong, but as I recall Brentford simply signed up Hercules with no payment nor any agreement with us. Despite our very public complaints about this I never heard that there was any sanction against Brentford over this, presumably because they broke no rules as in effect that whole group of players were free agents.
Spodothebee

We will get 5%
thebeekeeper

Tuesds wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 13:11
thebeekeeper wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 13:09

I don’t think that applied in this case because, as I understood it, he never signed a senior professional contract with us.

This is all based on my memory of the statements put out at the time in relation to the ‘transfers’ of Edwards and of Hercules to Brentford, so I may be wrong, but as I recall Brentford simply signed up Hercules with no payment nor any agreement with us. Despite our very public complaints about this I never heard that there was any sanction against Brentford over this, presumably because they broke no rules as in effect that whole group of players were free agents.
I must admit it is a confusing one, because I think you're right about Hercules.

There certainly does appear to have been a fee agreed for Edwards, as per this article: https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/spo ... nt-2935539

But I'm not sure what the distinction is – perhaps the fact that Edwards featured for the first team meant that we were due compensation?
antbfc

Spodothebee wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 14:03 We will get 5%
Very specific number - anything to back it up?

With the fee in the millions, any % will be more than welcome!
#Beebot

If you offer a contract to any of your players under the age of 23, and they turn in down, then a fee is due unless the two clubs agree otherwise. I cannot see why there would be a sell on fee though, as I'm not aware of tribunals ever enforcing one and there would be no incentive for Posh to agree to that as Edwards wasn't contracted here.
Spodothebee

antbfc wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 09:39
Very specific number - anything to back it up?

With the fee in the millions, any % will be more than welcome!
Friends of mine who support P'boro seem sure of it. I'm sure I saw it mentioned somewhere as well. We definitely have one for Taylor though, and he has been linked with a few this summer.
Sam_BFC

Didn't the Albert Adomah tribunal include a sell on? And Luke Medley. I thought it was typical.
BEEGONE

Chelsea expected to pay between 6/9 million for Edwards before deadline. Two bids rejected so far
By posh.
DSM

My understanding was that TK intervened with the threat of legal action to help re-direct him to boro rather than Brentford. In doing that the rumour at the time was a small sell-on so it wouldn’t surprise me if above is true.
thebeekeeper

Though we are unlikely to find out an accurate number, I've heard rumours that the sell-on clause is for 20%.
BEEGONE

DSM wrote: 31 Aug 2022, 15:39
My understanding was that TK intervened with the threat of legal action to help re-direct him to boro rather than Brentford. In doing that the rumour at the time was a small sell-on so it wouldn’t surprise me if above is true.
Why did he intervene?