DSH Archive Updates

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
erichitchmo

DSH Archive Updates

Pleased to say that with the fantastic support of Rob Cavallini, we have uploaded the first batch of results and goalscorer details to 1950 to the site, having previously had records back to 1965.

His comprehensive history books set the basis for our journey back in time, you can buy them at dognduck.net

So what's new and what's changed?

- Match, season, table and goalscorer details between 1950-1965, lineups TBC. 1766 (!) goals in this time.
- Redefined competitive first team matches during this period (e.g. Amateur Cup, Herts Cups).
- Club records pages updated to 1950.
- New players added to the legends page.

Records are still to be completed with the next batches but this era, particular the late 50s and early 60s were remarkable for Barnet, ultimately leading to turning professional in 1965.

https://downhillsecondhalf.co.uk/Home.aspx
BeeSwede

Re: DSH Archive Updates

Incredible job, well done!
erichitchmo

Glad to say that we've completed a significant part of the puzzle. Again, a huge thanks to Rob Cavallini for his support in collating this data for us.

We now have...

- All matches and goalscorers back to 1912-1913, the point at which the Barnet clubs merged into the club we know today.
- Club records updated to reflect all goalscorers and matches to 1912-1913.

What's still to do.

- Lineups (and by association, player and appearance data) from 1912-1965.
- Unravelling the web that is the Barnet clubs prior to 1912 and establishing what, if any, should be added to the records of the current club.

As you'd expect, the nature of the amateur game means that the club records were largely set in our early days and are unlikely to be ever beaten. For instance, Arthur Morris, the club's top goalscorer scored 374 goals (+40 non-competitive) in ten seasons in the 20s and 30s. However, it's good to see some of the more modern day records staying in tact.

- The 1-9 defeat at home to Peterborough in 1998 is still our second highest league defeat ever.
- John Akinde (31, 2014-2015) and Gary Bull (30, 1990-1991) are still in the top ten for most goals in a league season. We played far fewer league games in the Amateur days, with far more focus on cups.
- Both of the above seasons still feature in the most goals scored in a league season as a team, the record being 114 in our first professional season in 1965-1966.

More to come in the next few months!
shankbee01

I’m not sure the DHS work gets the credit it deserves. Top marks to everyone involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
erichitchmo

Now that we’re in the off season, we are going to take a bit of time to give the site some TLC. Here we some of the priorities…

- Finishing all stats back to 1912 (at least).
- MyDSH (the bit where you tick off your games) needs a revamp and redesign.
- Making the site a bit more mobile-friendly. Most people access via mobile and it’s a bit clunky for a phone screen.

Let me know on here or via email if there are any improvements or different stats you want to see, and we’ll add it to the list.
DerekRocholl

erichitchmo wrote: 11 May 2023, 05:51 Now that we’re in the off season, we are going to take a bit of time to give the site some TLC. Here we some of the priorities…

- Finishing all stats back to 1912 (at least).
- MyDSH (the bit where you tick off your games) needs a revamp and redesign.
- Making the site a bit more mobile-friendly. Most people access via mobile and it’s a bit clunky for a phone screen.

Let me know on here or via email if there are any improvements or different stats you want to see, and we’ll add it to the list.
Have you got details of POTY award winners anywhere on the site ?
becbee

Whilst stats back to 1912 will delight statisticians, what I'd personally find of most usefulness/ interest is H2H stats and 21st century player stats. So often it's not easy to find this info on line.

The My DSH was always good, hopefully you haven't lost the previous stats ( I might now have difficulty remembering some of the less memorable matches of 15-20+ years ago!)

Good luck, it sounds like you've got a massive undertaking on your hands!
erichitchmo

Re: POTY, we would be able to get the old ones from the BFCSA Archive quite easily but would need to dig around for the Hive era. Should be easy enough to find, someone might even have them to hand?

@becbee. Yes we have the full archive for MyDSH stats. Contact us and we can get you setup again if need be.
DerekRocholl

erichitchmo wrote: 11 May 2023, 13:14 Re: POTY, we would be able to get the old ones from the BFCSA Archive quite easily but would need to dig around for the Hive era. Should be easy enough to find, someone might even have them to hand?
I’ve sent you a spreadsheet which has the BFCS data updated with POTY winners up to an including 2016/17.Hope this helps.
MCB

erichitchmo wrote: 11 May 2023, 13:14 Re: POTY, we would be able to get the old ones from the BFCSA Archive quite easily but would need to dig around for the Hive era. Should be easy enough to find, someone might even have them to hand?

@becbee. Yes we have the full archive for MyDSH stats. Contact us and we can get you setup again if need be.
2019-20 and 2020-21 were run by and on this forum as the club couldn't be arsed to run them, you'll find the results on a quick search of here (I'm on a mobile or would dig them out for you).
#Beebot

MCB wrote:

2019-20 and 2020-21 were run by and on this forum as the club couldn't be arsed to run them, you'll find the results on a quick search of here (I'm on a mobile or would dig them out for you).
2020 Dan Sweeney, 2021 Mike Petrasso
erichitchmo

Via a combination of this forum, Derek's spreadsheet and Google, we've now added Player Of The Season awards to all relevant season pages. Who knew that Dan Sweeney got a hat-trick?
#Beebot

erichitchmo wrote:Via a combination of this forum, Derek's spreadsheet and Google, we've now added Player Of The Season awards to all relevant season pages. Who knew that Dan Sweeney got a hat-trick?
Scratch that, error on my part. Sweeney 2018 and 2019, Loach 2020
erichitchmo

We are more or less at completion with all data back to 1912, meaning we have over 100 years of Barnet FC data for your enjoyment (!).

https://downhillsecondhalf.co.uk/

A huge credit has to go to Rob Cavallini for his work in compiling the information in the first place and allowing it to be shared on our site. Reckless also gets a hat tip for his work on 1965-1990 as does JErroll for his help.

I need a lie down. That's far too much Excel, thank you. There will be some cleaning up to do but for now what we've uploaded is 99% the truth!

(Apparently we have some 60s and 70s competitions missing and then we have the conundrum of the pre-1912 merger data to tackle). Later.
becbee

Wow. Hours of endless entertainment reading all this. Very well done.

As an aside, I was disappointed to find that only one ( fairly insignificant) player shared my birthday - then found no player shared either of my daughters. Maybe DB needs to rectify the gaps this summer!!!!