Southen (Hive) The Rest in Peace Your Majesty Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Psycho

Re: Southen (Hive) The Rest in Peace Your Majesty Match Thread

Well, what about the Jubilee bank holidays then? Nobody was moaning at that time.

It feels right to postpone all matches this weekend. I feel numb for someone who served and dedicated her whole life to Great Britain. 🇬🇧 RIP your Majesty. ❤

It's a shame others can't repay that respect and faith just for ONE afternoon. Very disappointing.
rudebwoyben

John Hunt wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 12:25
rudebwoyben wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 10:59
John Hunt wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 10:55
rudebwoyben wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 10:51 Bad decision. I and other people are going to be very resentful at being made to mourn.
Good decision. I and other people are going to be very glad to have the opportunity to pay our respects for somebody who fundamentally seemed to be a good person and gave great service to our country.

We beg to differ.
You can pay your respects at the match or by not going to it.
Why do we all have to suffer this imposition?
This will make people quite rightfully wonder whether the country ought to have a monarchy.
It's hardly suffering. And is a football match being cancelled reason to wonder whether the country ought to have a monarchy.

It is a valid debate at any time but not just because a silly football match was postponed.
I am clearly not just referring to the football being postponed as a reason for people debating whether there ought to be a monarchy.
11bee717

Barnet vs Southend postponed. It’s what she would’ve wanted. ❤️
mike_p

What’s moronic about it? A impeccably observed 2 minutes silence with a rendition of the National Anthem at a match would have respectful and brought people together.
As it stands, we’re still obligated to go to work but we can’t do anything fun afterwards. That’s not very respectful.
Well put Ben, I agree entirely.
John Hunt

rudebwoyben wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 12:32
rudebwoyben wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 10:51 Bad decision. I and other people are going to be very resentful at being made to mourn.
Good decision. I and other people are going to be very glad to have the opportunity to pay our respects for somebody who fundamentally seemed to be a good person and gave great service to our country.

We beg to differ.
This will make people quite rightfully wonder whether the country ought to have a monarchy.
It's hardly suffering. And is a football match being cancelled reason to wonder whether the country ought to have a monarchy.

It is a valid debate at any time but not just because a silly football match was postponed.
I am clearly not just referring to the football being postponed as a reason for people debating whether there ought to be a monarchy.
"This will make people quite rightfully wonder whether the country ought to have a monarchy."

The inference I took was that it was. Apologies for misunderstanding...
FCBFCSA Manager / Former committee member of BFCSA and BFCSA1926
Roy57

antbfc wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 12:12 absolutely ridiculous situation. enforced mourning!
Unbelievable.
wearebees

This weekend we can go to Rugby League, cricket, the pub, theatre, cinema, shopping, nightclubbing...or many other leisure activities but you can't even go watch grassroots football or your kid play football. Why is football often singled out?

Surely if someone doesn't want to go to football as they'd rather stay in and mourn that could be up to them. Instead, those of us who want to still do something fun this weekend (life is hard enough without football), whilst still respecting the Queen, will just have to find something else to do. Ironic as we could have been at football paying our respects with 2 minutes silence and the National Anthem. The fans singing the national anthem at West Ham last night, on their own whim, shows the beauty of what sport can do to both mourn and celebrate someones life, there really is nothing like it in my opinion to bring people together as a mark of respect.
DerekRocholl

We beg to differ.

There was no need for the FA to implement a postponement of matches that people have already paid for and arranged travel to. The Government guidance was almost written to help them avoid doing this. But instead they have made a stupid decision which, far from being a mark of respect, treats people with contempt.
WillesdenBee

Ridiculous decision. Complete virtue signalling
becbee

What irritates me is the inconsistency. Football is cancelled as "a mark of respect". Yet surely rugby, cricket, golf players etc and supporters will be no different overall in the extent to which they will ( or maybe won't) wish to show their respect? There is no logic behind those sports continuing to play yet football can't. Other than that football players etc and fans will be unable to actually show their respects in person this weekend !

Still, at least matches from Monday onwards other than the actual day of the funeral can seemingly go ahead. Hopefully the funeral won't be a week tomorrow as they're saying it should be in about 10 days time? In which case, only tomorrow's match will be affected.
DerekRocholl

becbee wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 15:57 What irritates me is the inconsistency. Football is cancelled as "a mark of respect". Yet surely rugby, cricket, golf players etc and supporters will be no different overall in the extent to which they will ( or maybe won't) wish to show their respect? There is no logic behind those sports continuing to play yet football can't. Other than that football players etc and fans will be unable to actually show their respects in person this weekend !

Still, at least matches from Monday onwards other than the actual day of the funeral can seemingly go ahead. Hopefully the funeral won't be a week tomorrow as they're saying it should be in about 10 days time? In which case, only tomorrow's match will be affected.
The State Funeral is planned for Monday 19th.
Bee_Forever

Some of the comments on here are just ridiculous.

"This will make people quite rightfully wonder whether the country ought to have a monarchy". Only if you were a republican already. I very much doubt that having one football game postponed is going to be the straw which broke the camel's back and lead us to President Truss.

"I had to work, why should football be cancelled?" Because football is not an essential service. No idea what you do but as a rule the world does not go to hell in handcart if the football is cancelled. If a Doctor does not turn up for work on the other hand....

"I resent being forced to Mourn" No one is forcing you to do anything. You just can't go to football. Go for a walk. Potter in the garden, do whatever you please and no-one will have a go at you for the quality of your mourning or lack thereof.

I strongly feel that this weekend's games should be cancelled and that the decision to do so was right, proporitionate and a reflection of the national mood of mourning, grief and wanting to pay respects to a public servant who has been in post for 70 years and put her responsibilities to the state above all else.

I accept that there will be those who don't feel as strongly and who feel the decision to postpone the game is an overreaction. I would never dare to tell someone how to feel about something like this.

But some of the responses on this thread have been frankly laughable.
DerekRocholl

Bee_Forever wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 16:18 Some of the comments on here are just ridiculous.

"This will make people quite rightfully wonder whether the country ought to have a monarchy". Only if you were a republican already. I very much doubt that having one football game postponed is going to be the straw which broke the camel's back and lead us to President Truss.

"I had to work, why should football be cancelled?" Because football is not an essential service. No idea what you do but as a rule the world does not go to hell in handcart if the football is cancelled. If a Doctor does not turn up for work on the other hand....

"I resent being forced to Mourn" No one is forcing you to do anything. You just can't go to football. Go for a walk. Potter in the garden, do whatever you please and no-one will have a go at you for the quality of your mourning or lack thereof.

I strongly feel that this weekend's games should be cancelled and that the decision to do so was right, proporitionate and a reflection of the national mood of mourning, grief and wanting to pay respects to a public servant who has been in post for 70 years and put her responsibilities to the state above all else.

I accept that there will be those who don't feel as strongly and who feel the decision to postpone the game is an overreaction. I would never dare to tell someone how to feel about something like this.

If you read the Government Guidance on this issue, which will have been cleared with the Palace, there is a very strong indication that they didn’t want Sports events to be cancelled on any day other than the day of the State Funeral.

Annoying people with unnecessary decisions like this isn’t a mark of respect, it’s contempt for the people who pay the wages of the officials in question.
BigBee

Bee_Forever wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 16:18 Some of the comments on here are just ridiculous.

Very respectfully written sir.

I too am amazed, that a lot of people seem to want to prioritise sport, at such a very sad time.

I am speaking, as someone, who loves all forms of sport and I am also not, an out and out monarchist.
Lord Bee

I can see why they thought it was right to cancel the games but it’s also an opportunity missed as pretty sure there would have been a massive outpouring of respect for the Queen at 3 pm on Saturday by fans all over the country. Respect most people, whatever their outlook, would agree the Queen had earned by over 70 years of devoted unfailing public service.

But it is what it is and no point getting upset by what you can’t control. That’s what my old Dad used to say.