Southen (Hive) The Rest in Peace Your Majesty Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
mike_p

Re: Southen (Hive) The Rest in Peace Your Majesty Match Thread

From the National Mourning Guidance :
"There is no obligation to cancel or postpone events and sporting fixtures, or close entertainment venues
during the National Mourning period. This is at the discretion of individual organisations."

So no footy to watch, live, or on TV today. But, there's live PGA Championship golf from Wentworth
becbee

We all have our own opinions on this as on almost everything else. IMO it's unfortunate that there's rugby, cricket, golf etc today but no football permitted at any level. So I cannot go and in public pay my respects at Barnet v Southend but I can sit and watch the Test Match on TV, my daughter can go out for cocktails with a friend, others can go to the pub or restaurant, the gym , shopping etc etc. The theatres and cinemas are open. In fact, I can't think of anything else that has stopped today apart from football.

However, it is what it is. One Saturday afternoon without football. Three days from now we can watch Barnet v Dorking instead.
ETBee

On the plus side it does give Collinge and RDH a few more days to get fit.
DerekRocholl

Mikel Bee wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 10:51 It's our own fault apparently. Football fans can't be trusted.

https://twitter.com/sportbible/status/1 ... 2080741377
Including junior grassroots matches !

We must try harder with the forelock tugging subservience the Football Authorities require of us plebs.
John Hunt

On reflection I've changed my view a tad. It should have been all or nothing. I lost a cousin today and would have benefited from the distraction of a match for a couple of hours. Others would have too from any traumas or stresses in their life.

Either everything shuts down or everything stays open.Football closing down but cricket at all levels being played is rather ludicrous.The thought that supporters of certain clubs couldn't be trusted to be respectful is upsetting, and hopefully overly patronising but a sad reflection of them if true.

How cricket paid it's respects was classy. Barnet would have been the same (perhaps minus the opera singer). I remember the classy remembrance day touch with Jeannette representing our supporters before our cup tie at Blackburn. They had a big poppy of the wall outside the club.

God rest our gracious Queen. Long live our King.
FCBFCSA Manager / Former committee member of BFCSA and BFCSA1926
alexbach

National League confirm that subsequent fixtures will resume with a minute silence. If I were cleverer I'd provide the link

Sent from my 5033XR using Tapatalk

ETBee

If they thought that we couldn't respect a minute's silence yesterday what makes them think we will do it at the next game? Cancelling the matches just makes it more likely that some fans would wish to protest.
letchbee94

ETBee wrote: 11 Sep 2022, 13:08 If they thought that we couldn't respect a minute's silence yesterday what makes them think we will do it at the next game? Cancelling the matches just makes it more likely that some fans would wish to protest.
Really?
Anthony

ETBee wrote: 11 Sep 2022, 13:08 If they thought that we couldn't respect a minute's silence yesterday what makes them think we will do it at the next game? Cancelling the matches just makes it more likely that some fans would wish to protest.
I suspect that whilst this may have been a concern, the overriding factor behind the decision is how mawkish the football culture in this country is.
Berlinbee

John Hunt wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 20:05 On reflection I've changed my view a tad. It should have been all or nothing. I lost a cousin today and would have benefited from the distraction of a match for a couple of hours. Others would have too from any traumas or stresses in their life.

Either everything shuts down or everything stays open.Football closing down but cricket at all levels being played is rather ludicrous.The thought that supporters of certain clubs couldn't be trusted to be respectful is upsetting, and hopefully overly patronising but a sad reflection of them if true.

How cricket paid it's respects was classy. Barnet would have been the same (perhaps minus the opera singer). I remember the classy remembrance day touch with Jeannette representing our supporters before our cup tie at Blackburn. They had a big poppy of the wall outside the club.

Good points, Imagine being, god forbid, a Republican. I find the entire spectacle bizarre. Sorry for your loss
Lord Bee

Mikel Bee wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 10:51 It's our own fault apparently. Football fans can't be trusted.

https://twitter.com/sportbible/status/1 ... 2080741377
As a general rule I wouldn’t believe anything printed in the Daily Fail
John Hunt

Berlinbee wrote: 11 Sep 2022, 15:30
John Hunt wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 20:05 On reflection I've changed my view a tad. It should have been all or nothing. I lost a cousin today and would have benefited from the distraction of a match for a couple of hours. Others would have too from any traumas or stresses in their life.

Good points, Imagine being, god forbid, a Republican. I find the entire spectacle bizarre. Sorry for your loss
An argument for a republic is fair enough. Of course I can understand the arguments for it.
Bee_Forever

I still think it was the right thing to call the Football off.

The fact other sports didn't do the same is frankly disappointing.

Football is back tomorrow. Hopefully the three day wait makes Barnet vs Dorking all the more appealing and we get a bumper attendance.

For those who don't understand or agree with the reaction that's fine but there is a right way to articulate it as Berlin Bee did above.

Saw some myppet on twitter suggesting Barnet vs Sarfend should be rearranged for 19th September..

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

John Hunt

Barnet v Dorking suffers from being a midweek game that some of us can't attend. But que sera. It is what it is.

Barnet v Southend will now most likely be midweek. I wonder how the attendance will be affected by that. Southend had sold many tickets for that one.
becbee

Suspect most of the Southend fans will come regardless, we are one of their closest matches and not far to travel for a midweek.
As for some idiot suggesting 19th September for the rearranged fixture, some people just like to think they are being funny. It's already been announced that no sporting events of any kind will be allowed on that day.