Southen (Hive) The Rest in Peace Your Majesty Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
rudebwoyben

Re: Southen (Hive) The Rest in Peace Your Majesty Match Thread

John Hunt wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 10:55
rudebwoyben wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 10:51 Bad decision. I and other people are going to be very resentful at being made to mourn.
Good decision. I and other people are going to be very glad to have the opportunity to pay our respects for somebody who fundamentally seemed to be a good person and gave great service to our country.

We beg to differ.
You can pay your respects at the match or by not going to it.
Why do we all have to suffer this imposition?
This will make people quite rightfully wonder whether the country ought to have a monarchy.
wearebees

At least RDh and Collinge might be back in time for the re-arranged match.
BigBee

rudebwoyben wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 10:59
rudebwoyben wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 10:51 Bad decision. I and other people are going to be very resentful at being made to mourn.
Good decision. I and other people are going to be very glad to have the opportunity to pay our respects for somebody who fundamentally seemed to be a good person and gave great service to our country.

We beg to differ.
This will make people quite rightfully wonder whether the country ought to have a monarchy.
What a truly moronic statement to make.

Don’t have to be a Monarchist to show respect.
rudebwoyben

BigBee wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 11:06

We beg to differ.

What’s moronic about it? A impeccably observed 2 minutes silence with a rendition of the National Anthem at a match would have respectful and brought people together.
As it stands, we’re still obligated to go to work but we can’t do anything fun afterwards. That’s not very respectful.
Last edited by rudebwoyben on 09 Sep 2022, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
BeesKnees99

Disappointing decision.
Mikel Bee

rudebwoyben wrote:

We beg to differ.

What’s moronic about it? A impeccably observed 2 minutes silence with a rendition of the National Anthem at a match would have respectful and brought people together.
As it stands, we’re still obligated to go to work but we can’ do anything fun afterwards. That’s not very respectful.
Not having any national holiday for what we are told is a historic national event is one thing. Other countries have days or even weeks of bank holidays in this situation. But when we have to carry on working while leisure activities during the small amount of time we do get off are cancelled, it begins to feel more like a punishment.

There must have been a way to show respect while continuing sporting events, as happened in 1952.
becbee

I think we all need to respect each other's differing opinions.

I remember back when 9/11 happened, for some reason the following weekend we were in High Wycombe area and we went to Wycombe Wanderers v Wigan. Pre match Wycombe put on an incredibly moving tribute, such that even now after all these years it makes me well up to remember it. I would rather pay my tribute this weekend in a similar way than to be stuck at home wishing I had a match to go to.
beew

rudebwoyben wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 11:09

We beg to differ.

As it stands, we’re still obligated to go to work but we can’t do anything fun afterwards. That’s not very respectful.

Totally agree Ben.

I’m sure the late Queen wouldn’t want this disruption to the sporting calendar. On or near the day of the funeral we must observe a cancellation of everything but I believe that’s somewhere close to the 17th September

This cancellation will cost our club thousands and deny some from attending the rearranged game ,and some who have been booked to attend on match day duties, money that could be vital at this time.

Doesn’t seem right to me.
becbee

Statement:

Further to this morning’s statement by Debbie Hewitt, chair of The Football Association, all National League System, FA Trophy, and grassroots fixtures scheduled for this weekend will not take place as a mark of respect. The Queen was the FA’s patron, and Prince William is its President.

At this moment National League fixtures will go ahead as planned from Monday 12 September onwards although we understand no sporting event of any kind will be permitted on the day of The Queen’s funeral.

The decision to postpone this weekend’s fixtures is taken in line with guidance from the FA in consultation with the Department for Culture, Media and Sport. The League fully supports this stance.
Berlinbee

This is a ridiculous decision. The mass cancellation of events means a loss of income for many in low income and insecure work.
On a personal level, my partner, her son and I have travelled today from Bristol on what would have been his first Barnet game, costing us over £80. Definitely challenging in this financial climate.
eastbarnetsupporter

Poor decision. Why single out entertainment to cancel but work carries on? Odd.

Hopefully the club can offer refunds as our party of 3 may not be able to make the rescheduled Southend fixture.
hoppy

Assuming our fixture on Tuesday against Dorking Wanderers goes ahead we Barnet fans will be able observe a minute's silence and sing the National Anthem should we choose. The handful of Dorking fans who will be in attendance at The Hive can do the same.
It seems that the games scheduled for 17th September may also (rightly) be postponed due to the funeral.
If Dorking wish to show their respects at a home game the first opportunity for them will be on 1st October, two weeks after the funeral.
This is exactly the same situation for Southend United and, I guess, a few other NL Clubs.
antbfc

absolutely ridiculous situation. enforced mourning!
becbee

What is annoying is that Rugby Union fixtures this weekend are barely affected. Two Premiership matches tonight have been postponed - one to tomorrow! - but 2 Championship matches are going ahead tonight.
All matches scheduled for tomorrow and Sunday are going ahead. Just starting with a minute's silence and players wearing black armbands.
John Hunt

We beg to differ.
It's hardly suffering. And is a football match being cancelled reason to wonder whether the country ought to have a monarchy.

It is a valid debate at any time but not just because a silly football match was postponed.
FCBFCSA Manager / Former committee member of BFCSA and BFCSA1926