Torquay (Atlantis) The Fawlty Towers Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Bee_Forever

Torquay (Atlantis) The Fawlty Towers Match Thread

Glub..... Saturday sees Gary Johnson's Torquay United coming to TK's underwater kingdom and wedding emporium in our latest Bananarama League fixture.

The Gulls have found themselves in a bit of a flap this season, sitting on 14 points and with only 4 points out of a possible 15 in the last 5. One of my funniest childhood holiday memories is when we were sitting on top of Michael's Mount and a seagull swooped down and stole a honey sandwich off my brother. He was not happy, we all found it hilarious! The Gulls will be hoping for a similar smash and grab effort this weekend as they look to steal honey from the bees.

With the Whitchurch Lane entrance now closed due to flooding the Hive is resembling less a football stadium and more a case for DIY SOS as we now cannot get in to the stadium, cars can't get out of the stadium, half the facilities are under resourced and we only have three stands. TK is bringing in a facility manager apparently but unless it is Noah I don't see what he is going to be able to do about the flooding issue. It all feels as ramshackle as Fawlty Towers the Torquay based hotel and the Legends stand will doubtless be sybilant with hisses of rage as we struggle to get a pint while the catering trucks rock up at the banqueting suite. While few can claim to know the manuel, it is in little doubt that our chairman is ultimately to blame for the shambolic state of our Temporary Stadium. There is also the fact the Scoreboard is broken. In the past you could easily say "Don't mention the Score" to those coming in late, now it is the only way they know what is going on.

To be fair to Kleanthous while the Hive may be a ramshackle embarassment at the moment he has at least worked out how to do segregation and keep away fans safe which is more than the Essex Boys managed on Monday.

Fortunately Dean Brennan IS getting things right on the pitch and our team with one striker has somehow managed to work their way up in to the playoffs despite Kabamba blowing out of his backside towards the end on Monday. There is still no sign of a second striker or any defensive reinforcements so I guess the Moose will remain our only defensive cover and Kian our only "Striker" on the bench. Torquay despite their struggles both on the pitch and off are still a dangerous team especially with a wily old fox like Gary Johnson and are not to be under-estimated. With Gorman's fitness being in question I think it would be sensible to be slightly conservative in our approach and I would advocate the following:-

-------------------------------------Walker------------------------------------

------Wynter--------------Collinge--------------Okimo-----------Beard----

------De-Havilland-------Armstrong-----------Smith---------Pritchard---

----------------------------Kanu----------Kabamba---------------------------

Subs: Azaze, Diarra, Hall, Shields, Flanagan

I am doing this one going to Morano's beforehand then circumnavigating the Hive to go in the Camrose Avenue entrance.

Fingers crossed we can overcome fatigue and not take the game for granted as we have in previous games.

COYBs :Drink1:
ETBee

Re: Torquay (Atlantis) The Fawlty Towers Match Thread

Do we know if Flanagan is fit? He must have been injured on Monday as he didn't reappear after HT.

Our subs bench is looking very limited.
hoofer2

Bee_Forever wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 11:07 Glub..... Saturday sees Gary Johnson's Torquay United coming to TK's underwater kingdom and wedding emporium in our latest Bananarama League fixture.

The Gulls have found themselves in a bit of a flap this season, sitting on 14 points and with only 4 points out of a possible 15 in the last 5. One of my funniest childhood holiday memories is when we were sitting on top of Michael's Mount and a seagull swooped down and stole a honey sandwich off my brother. He was not happy, we all found it hilarious! The Gulls will be hoping for a similar smash and grab effort this weekend as they look to steal honey from the bees.

With the Whitchurch Lane entrance now closed due to flooding the Hive is resembling less a football stadium and more a case for DIY SOS as we now cannot get in to the stadium, cars can't get out of the stadium, half the facilities are under resourced and we only have three stands. TK is bringing in a facility manager apparently but unless it is Noah I don't see what he is going to be able to do about the flooding issue. It all feels as ramshackle as Fawlty Towers the Torquay based hotel and the Legends stand will doubtless be sybilant with hisses of rage as we struggle to get a pint while the catering trucks rock up at the banqueting suite. While few can claim to know the manuel, it is in little doubt that our chairman is ultimately to blame for the shambolic state of our Temporary Stadium. There is also the fact the Scoreboard is broken. In the past you could easily say "Don't mention the Score" to those coming in late, now it is the only way they know what is going on.

To be fair to Kleanthous while the Hive may be a ramshackle embarassment at the moment he has at least worked out how to do segregation and keep away fans safe which is more than the Essex Boys managed on Monday.

Fortunately Dean Brennan IS getting things right on the pitch and our team with one striker has somehow managed to work their way up in to the playoffs despite Kabamba blowing out of his backside towards the end on Monday. There is still no sign of a second striker or any defensive reinforcements so I guess the Moose will remain our only defensive cover and Kian our only "Striker" on the bench. Torquay despite their struggles both on the pitch and off are still a dangerous team especially with a wily old fox like Gary Johnson and are not to be under-estimated. With Gorman's fitness being in question I think it would be sensible to be slightly conservative in our approach and I would advocate the following:-

I am doing this one going to Morano's beforehand then circumnavigating the Hive to go in the Camrose Avenue entrance.

Fingers crossed we can overcome fatigue and not take the game for granted as we have in previous games.

Namor of this talk. Lets hope the Bees defence is watertight this weekend.
Bee_Forever

The Flanagan sub was tactical as per DB post match.

I am not overly concerned about the bench to be honest.

If you look at our bench last season at the same point it's hardly stellar by comparison. This is where injury details are felt.
Screenshot_20221118_112250.jpg
Screenshot_20221118_112250.jpg (18.33 KiB) Viewed 1706 times
Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

OB1
Location: Formerly Block C Underhill - Now block E East stand The Hive

I think it was 1962. We were drawn away to Torquay in the 1st round proper of the FA cup. Half a dozen coaches left Underhill at midnight on the Friday night. We arrived in Torquay at about 7am were breakfast had been organised in a bowling alley which had a large restaurant area. The match itself was a bit of a disaster. We lost 6-2, our goalkeeper, Brian Goymer, who was normally very reliable had a nightmare of a game. It was before the days of substitutes and the Torquay goalkeeper hurt his arm. Another player took his place in goal and the original keeper played up front and even scored a goal. The coaches eventually got back to Underhill at about midnight on the Saturday.
Prediction League Champion 2019/2020
rudebwoyben

Bee_Forever wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 11:07 Glub..... Saturday sees Gary Johnson's Torquay United coming to TK's underwater kingdom and wedding emporium in our latest Bananarama League fixture.

There is Twitter, but for how much longer?!
WillesdenBee

Gorman's fitness is key. Been so pivotal in recent games, the Southend game really showed how much of a key player he is for us. Yes, he gives the ball away a lot, but the passes he does make are usually key passes. Compared it to Bruno Fernandes, frustrating but so important at the same time. Wynter and Beard have both put in great performances recently, hope it continues as our full backs/wing backs (whatever system we play) will be so important in this game. The last time we had a good run of wins and then a good looking fixture list was back in September time. We then lost to Dorking and Aldershot. This time we have Torquay, Wealdstone, Halifax, Yeovil in a row, we cannot have the same lapse as last time.
Tuesds

Bee_Forever wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 11:24 The Flanagan sub was tactical as per DB post match.

If you look at our bench last season at the same point it's hardly stellar by comparison. This is where injury details are felt.Screenshot_20221118_112250.jpg

All true, but also worth recalling that in that very match we had been pegged back and needed some more attacking impetus up front to turn one point into three. We brought on a second striker (!) in Bloomfield and he won the penalty which won us the match.
Itsmeerc

WillesdenBee wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 11:57 Gorman's fitness is key. Been so pivotal in recent games, the Southend game really showed how much of a key player he is for us. Yes, he gives the ball away a lot, but the passes he does make are usually key passes. Compared it to Bruno Fernandes, frustrating but so important at the same time. Wynter and Beard have both put in great performances recently, hope it continues as our full backs/wing backs (whatever system we play) will be so important in this game. The last time we had a good run of wins and then a good looking fixture list was back in September time. We then lost to Dorking and Aldershot. This time we have Torquay, Wealdstone, Halifax, Yeovil in a row, we cannot have the same lapse as last time.
Agree with you on Gorman. The good thing about him is he sees and attempts passes not many other players in this team see. The bad thing is that they only come off about 50% of the time.
11bee717

Bee_Forever wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 11:24 The Flanagan sub was tactical as per DB post match.

If you look at our bench last season at the same point it's hardly stellar by comparison. This is where injury details are felt.Screenshot_20221118_112250.jpg

The flashbacks…
WillesdenBee

Itsmeerc wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 12:08
WillesdenBee wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 11:57 Gorman's fitness is key. Been so pivotal in recent games, the Southend game really showed how much of a key player he is for us. Yes, he gives the ball away a lot, but the passes he does make are usually key passes. Compared it to Bruno Fernandes, frustrating but so important at the same time. Wynter and Beard have both put in great performances recently, hope it continues as our full backs/wing backs (whatever system we play) will be so important in this game. The last time we had a good run of wins and then a good looking fixture list was back in September time. We then lost to Dorking and Aldershot. This time we have Torquay, Wealdstone, Halifax, Yeovil in a row, we cannot have the same lapse as last time.
Agree with you on Gorman. The good thing about him is he sees and attempts passes not many other players in this team see. The bad thing is that they only come off about 50% of the time.
If they came off at a higher percentage, he would not be playing at this level that's for sure. He's a top player with potential to go even further, but I can see why he is at this level
HertsBee

OB1 wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 11:32 I think it was 1962. We were drawn away to Torquay in the 1st round proper of the FA cup. Half a dozen coaches left Underhill at midnight on the Friday night. We arrived in Torquay at about 7am were breakfast had been organised in a bowling alley which had a large restaurant area. The match itself was a bit of a disaster. We lost 6-2, our goalkeeper, Brian Goymer, who was normally very reliable had a nightmare of a game. It was before the days of substitutes and the Torquay goalkeeper hurt his arm. Another player took his place in goal and the original keeper played up front and even scored a goal. The coaches eventually got back to Underhill at about midnight on the Saturday.
That's a blast from the past. I wonder what ever happened to Underhill.
letchbee94

After 3 enjoyable games and wins on the road lets hope we can carry on the good vibe at the Hive.
amberforever

Has the drainage from our pitch gone to Whitchurch Ave???
CrawleyBee

Unless blanked out for another reason tickets sales look healthy today!
Formerly Watfordbee