Accrington (Wham) The Wake Me Up Before You Go Go Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Roy57

Re: Accrington (Wham) The Wake Me Up Before You Go Go Thread

WillesdenBee wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 22:05
Roy57 wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 20:12 In Dean's post match interview he once again mentioned the need for a quality striker to assist Nicki. Still baffled as to why we have not signed one after more than four months, cannot be money as we have just brought in Annesley, so not sure of the reason why a striker has not been brought in, is it that Dean is struggling to find the right one he wants, at obviously the right wage structure. But this is without doubt hindering us and we are either losing or drawing games we could be winning.
A centre back on loan for a month is a lot cheaper than a striker. Strikers are on average 2x the price of any other position. If we want the right one, we have to be patient. There’s been many (many!!!) options on the table. It’s up to one man to get them signed…
A months loan with a view to make it permanent.
pletch99

Norfolkbee wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 10:55 Just a thought. Perhaps DB is looking at bringing in a striker who is playing overseas in a league that has shut down for the winter - rather like when we had the Canadian on loan. Either that or he has an eye on a player who has still been involved in the FA Cup.
I suspect it's more to do with being able to find the right player for the available budget. It's easy to sign a striker, much harder to sign a striker that will actually make us better. I'm really keen not to see the budget wasted on a signing like Louis Walsh, just so we can have a second striker.

I suspect most of the strikers who will make us better are either not available or out of our price range in that a significant transfer fee would be required in addition to signing on fee and wages. What we're looking for is something pretty much everybody else in the league is also looking for - a striker who will score goals who is a free agent or who is available for near to nothing from their current club.

Anyone currently scoring goals above or below is not going to fit in to this category, unless you look 2-3 levels below in which case there is always a question mark about whether the player can step up.
Norfolkbee

pletch99 wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 15:14
Norfolkbee wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 10:55 Just a thought. Perhaps DB is looking at bringing in a striker who is playing overseas in a league that has shut down for the winter - rather like when we had the Canadian on loan. Either that or he has an eye on a player who has still been involved in the FA Cup.
I suspect it's more to do with being able to find the right player for the available budget. It's easy to sign a striker, much harder to sign a striker that will actually make us better. I'm really keen not to see the budget wasted on a signing like Louis Walsh, just so we can have a second striker.

I suspect most of the strikers who will make us better are either not available or out of our price range in that a significant transfer fee would be required in addition to signing on fee and wages. What we're looking for is something pretty much everybody else in the league is also looking for - a striker who will score goals who is a free agent or who is available for near to nothing from their current club.

Anyone currently scoring goals above or below is not going to fit in to this category, unless you look 2-3 levels below in which case there is always a question mark about whether the player can step up.
I see your point, but disagree with the final paragraph. Taking a player who is scoring regularly at a lower level could prove a little gem and is unlikely to cost the earth, providing they are looking for full-time football and not currently playing to supplement a decent wage. There are players out there looking for the chance if you look hard enough. Perhaps there is a question mark over Barnet's scouting system and the ability to do due diligence on possible targets.
letchbee94

Good effort from the players but like Brennan says in his interview we lacked the quality at the top.
I thought the free kick they got in build up to their goal was soft (Meaning I don't think it was 1)
Roy57

So we have waited four months for a quality striker, who is a free agent, preferably looking to kick start his career, lives locally and doesn't want more than £8-50 per week, know wonder it's taking so long, lol. ( tongue in cheek) but as mentioned so many clubs in the last four weeks of so have signed a striker, if we wait till the perfect fit comes along we could find ourselves in deep poo poo. As if Kabamba picks up a knock which is not unlikely as he plays every min. And puts 100% in every game, if he does any striker we go after will know we are desperate. I appreciate getting the right one I really do. But it should not take five months of more. Shame we could not beat Accrington as I believed the winner got in reason of £60.000
Roy57

I don't believe it, Boringwood have reached the 3rd round of the FA Cup for the third year running, if they are lucky enough to draw another big name away there budget and what it might be possible to spend will leave us standing and falling behind yet again to them. Breaks my heart to see them having good cup runs which bring in so much money.
b4life

I suggest we put all our energy into supporting our team not worrying about what Boringwood are doing. I really don't care one jot about what's happening over there.
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
hoofer2

Roy57 wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 23:51 I don't believe it, Boringwood have reached the 3rd round of the FA Cup for the third year running, if they are lucky enough to draw another big name away there budget and what it might be possible to spend will leave us standing and falling behind yet again to them. Breaks my heart to see them having good cup runs which bring in so much money.
Good luck to them. They are well run and continuity means they are challenging at right end of table season on season.

What was the attendance Brizzle Rovers with their millions and millions of fans vs BW one man and his dog?
Norfolkbee

hoofer2 wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 12:07
Roy57 wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 23:51 I don't believe it, Boringwood have reached the 3rd round of the FA Cup for the third year running, if they are lucky enough to draw another big name away there budget and what it might be possible to spend will leave us standing and falling behind yet again to them. Breaks my heart to see them having good cup runs which bring in so much money.
Good luck to them. They are well run and continuity means they are challenging at right end of table season on season.

What was the attendance Brizzle Rovers with their millions and millions of fans vs BW one man and his dog?
BW have a manager who sticks with a style of football (?) that works for him and the players he employs. He has a plan and sticks to it whereas Barnet's succession of managers have never settled on anything. DB is getting close to it.
Sure BW's style is not pretty, but neither was some of the stuff served up when we had MA in charge, but few complained because it worked. Whether or not that brand of football would work in the EFL is debatable - it did not seem to for MA.
Last edited by Norfolkbee on 28 Nov 2022, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
Sam_BFC

We were on the brink of the playoffs when Martin Allen left for Eastleigh.
HertsBee

We bring in more money through Indian Weddings than Boreham Wood's cup runs. The only difference is how that money is spent.
Tuesds

Sam_BFC wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 18:39 We were on the brink of the playoffs when Martin Allen left for Eastleigh.
Yep, and we also won four and drew one in our final five games in his short 17/18 spell when he so nearly kept us up. That was very much ‘percentages’ football too but for him, at Barnet, it worked.

Some managers just ‘fit’ certain clubs and vice-versa. Garrard at Boreham Wood is one example, and John Coleman at Accrington is another. Coleman got a bigger job, at Rochdale, and Rochdale fans will tell you that he’s a crap manager! It just works for him at Accrington, where he’s been given time, just as Garrard has at B’wood (where they finished just one spot above the relegation zone in 2019, yet stuck with him).

It’s just a shame/typical that the manager whose formula fitted us like a glove and who would have brought success over a longer period had terribly itchy feet and was always keen to leave before he was sacked throughout his career!
Nudger70

Dodged a bullet imagine getting Borehamwood away in the 3rd round play them 3 weeks on the spin samaritans would be busy.
becbee

Nudger70 wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 19:25 Dodged a bullet imagine getting Borehamwood away in the 3rd round play them 3 weeks on the spin samaritans would be busy.
Couldn't agree more. That would have been the worst R3 draw possible.
Roy57

Yeah see Borehamwood v Accrington. But don't think we would of if we had beaten them. As clubs are in alphabetical order, so a guess we would of been number 4 which was Birmingham (and they would of been number 5),, who have been drawn away to Forest green. So either way nothing to get excited about. be good if this was on a day when we had no game, as depending on admission I wouldn't mind going to cheer on Accrington. Lol