Accrington (Wham) The Wake Me Up Before You Go Go Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Bee_Forever

Accrington (Wham) The Wake Me Up Before You Go Go Thread

So..... Saturday sees the bees hitting the road in the FA Cup as we head up to the Wham Stadium to take on Accrington Stanley.

After a battling win in Chelmsford where the segregation was abandoned at the last minute in a mostly friendly but chaotic atmosphere, we will be facing a team which offers the worst of both worlds, a small stadium with limited support but a League 1 Team. On the positive side Dean Brennan has got us playing well and with most of the team rested on Tuesday we can hope we can put in a good performance up there with our paper thin squad.

The last time we went up to Accrington Stanley it was the death knell of the Rossi Eames regime as he called up the three exiled players only to see us get tonked 4-1. I missed the game as I will be doing this weekend but I do feel we can give a better account of ourselves than we did that day despite being two leagues adrift. It's amazing what a competent manager and a motivated team can achieve.

Accrington despite my sniffy review of their poky ground remains one of my favoured away trips mostly for the Crown Pub which is one of the great away boozers on the road. Being offered different flavours of pork scratchings at a football pub was deeply impressive. as was the care they took of us when the Accy game was called off at the last minute a few years ago. Westy's song to the Grimsby fans in the Hendo season also sticks in the memory.

Accrington are famous for the milk advert and they have skimmed along cheerfully in League 1 on a well organised budget while being able to get the cream of the crop of local talent from blackburn and the like. I just hope that Barnet have not missed the oat in terms of establishing themselves as a league side in the same way Accy have otherwise TK might through his soys out of the pram. It does seem that with DB we have the winning formula and that his bristly interviews are getting on people's goat less often, although being on a winning run has certainly cowed a few of our more critical supporters.

I am pleased that it looks like there will be a Supporters Coach for this one. I think that for a cup competition having a surge support to compliment the Percy bus is ideal and credit to the SA and the club for organising this. I am glad to see that those supporters who value a reliable service with a pub stop which goes every game will get themselves the Percy Bus while the club supported transport will also provide a well timed and convenient option for supporters given the train strikes and this being a big game for the club. This feels like the best of both worlds for this fixture.

In terms of team lineup the only question for me will be whether Annesley gets a start. I would go:-

------------------------------------------Walker--------------------------------------

------Wynter----------Collinge------Annesley------Okimo-------------Beard----

-------------------------Gorman-----De Havilland---Pritchard---------------------

-----------------------------Kanu-------------Kabamba-------------------------------

Subs: Callan, Diarra, Armstrong, Shields, Flanagan, Smith, Thomas

I am missing this one but hope that we can pull off a surprise and get through to the next round.

COYBs :Drink1:
john dockers shorts

Re: Accrington (Wham) The Wake Me Up Before You Go Go Thread

You obviously haven't seen Okimo play left back....looking forward to the game. Tin foil fa cup out of the loft!
Bee_Forever

john dockers shorts wrote:You obviously haven't seen Okimo play left back....looking forward to the game. Tin foil fa cup out of the loft!
Sorry I put him at left centre back. Does not show well on mobile devices.

I have seen plenty of him at left back and am still in therapy as a result.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

BeesKnees99

Listened to John Coleman’s pre-match interview, he says his son-in-law & his dad are Barnet fans.

Wonder if they lurk on this forum? Please reveal yourselves!
STAB

Hopefully BBC Radio Lancashire - Matchday Live, Accrington Stanley v Barnet
Chainsaw

BeesKnees99 wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 01:18 Listened to John Coleman’s pre-match interview, he says his son-in-law & his dad are Barnet fans.

Wonder if they lurk on this forum? Please reveal yourselves!
Blimey, John Coleman's still there. I know at one time quite a few Barnet fans would have been delighted if he'd become our manager. If your anywhere near the dugouts wear ear defenders as he's got a really LOUD foghorn voice.
bzzzzz

Good interview and although 11 minutes, interesting to hear a reflective view of the opposition.

I liked the way our media guy asked about their favourite FA cup experience, it offered the interviewee a chance to say something a bit different.
BeesKnees99

Shields on the bench again. Why is he so out of favour?
KneesBees99

BeesKnees99 wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 14:17 Shields on the bench again. Why is he so out of favour?
Because he’s not played well recently?
bzzzzz

BeesKnees99 wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 14:17 Shields on the bench again. Why is he so out of favour?
Whilst he is often the player that gets involved in attack, he's been identified as a weakness defensively. He featured in the all the games in which we conceded 17 goals in 4 games.

The recent upsurge in form has happened without his presence in the first 11. I think DB has to figure out a way to play him in a way that demands less from him defensively, but that isn't easy.
mike_p

STAB wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 12:42 Hopefully BBC Radio Lancashire - Matchday Live, Accrington Stanley v Barnet
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live: ... lancashire
hoofer2

BBC live text much better than twitter today. Live football fix watching the Roman Derby - St Albans City vs Bath City...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63708663
hoppy

Very good commentary on Radio Lancashire, they just mentioned the tin foil FA Cup in the Barnet end.
CrawleyBee

They reckon a few hundred Barnet there, good support if the case! Agree great commentary.
Formerly Watfordbee
BeesKnees99

Why do we insist on Gorman taking set pieces? Seems like nothing ever happens when he takes them.