Player of the Year blog

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
tonbridgebee

Player of the Year blog

I put a thread up on Twitter to see what opinions were on who their top 3 were, turned my choice of 3 into a blog with a look at all serious candidates as well.

Have a read, make your own opinion too, plenty to choose from this year, you'll find it here:

https://trevorknell.substack.com/p/who- ... f-the-year
JWTBee

Re: Player of the Year blog

Hi Trev I have already given you my views.How can Kabamber not make the Top 3!?
I love Luisma & really miss his skils!
tonbridgebee

JWTBee wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 16:41 Hi Trev I have already given you my views.How can Kabamber not make the Top 3!?
Too many candidates. I tried to pick something like, no Gormo we don't let the other 9 outfield players function.

No Laurie, the net minder is diminished.

No Okimo, would we have got the same out of Collinge for example alongside a different centre half.

Tried to pick from what makes the team tick, Danny is a fine example in that he's an assured ball playing centre half.

Nicke has been fabulous, scored some great goals, lucky to get to know him off the pitch too, there simply are too many candidates this year!
thebeekeeper

For me it's Walker for POTY, but Kabamba and Collinge would be in second and third respectively. It's certainly testament to how good this squad is that there are others in the reckoning - Okimo and Gorman for example.

Weirdly for someone in the latter stages of their career, I think I'd give Okimo the most improved player award - I wasn't convinced in the first month or two, but he's been outstanding.

I'm not sure you can look past RDH for best young player - and his goal against Boreham Wood must be a GOTS contender.
tonbridgebee

thebeekeeper wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 18:28 For me it's Walker for POTY, but Kabamba and Collinge would be in second and third respectively. It's certainly testament to how good this squad is that there are others in the reckoning - Okimo and Gorman for example.

Weirdly for someone in the latter stages of their career, I think I'd give Okimo the most improved player award - I wasn't convinced in the first month or two, but he's been outstanding.

I'm not sure you can look past RDH for best young player - and his goal against Boreham Wood must be a GOTS contender.
That is the part precisely where one or two of these win other awards.

I think Danny will run RDH close for best young player personally, Kanu for some who like an exciting player to get them off their seat, not sure this year any of the awards are a closed shop.
thebeekeeper

tonbridgebee wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 18:45
thebeekeeper wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 18:28 For me it's Walker for POTY, but Kabamba and Collinge would be in second and third respectively. It's certainly testament to how good this squad is that there are others in the reckoning - Okimo and Gorman for example.

I think Danny will run RDH close for best young player personally, Kanu for some who like an exciting player to get them off their seat, not sure this year any of the awards are a closed shop.
Collinge is 24, doesn't that put him out of the running for best young player? I'm not sure of the exact criteria but 23 is surely the maximum age to be considered young in football terms. I did forget about Kanu, he's been excellent – and Pritchard too. What a good team this is, when you stop and think about it.
becbee

Almost might as well put their names into a hat. After all, how can you really compare them when their different roles have different requirements but have all excelled at the role they have?
djhdjh

It's got to be Walker in the end. Even for the other contenders there are little knocks - Okimo sometimes gets done for pace, it took Collinge a while to get on top of the physicality, Wynter took a while to get going and was injured lately, Kanu has some games where it doesn't quite happen for him (though fewer and fewer as the season has gone on), Gorman has games where he's not really on the pace. They're still really good players having really good seasons but you can pinpoint little weaknesses that have cropped up.

None of that applies to Walker. With the exception of 1 game he's always there. He does the routine stuff and the not so routine stuff, routinely.

Kabamba should be Most Improved, he's been our number 9 and I'm not sure any of us really wanted that when he was signed.
Lord Bee

It will be Nicke Kabamba. That is all
tonbridgebee

thebeekeeper wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 18:55
tonbridgebee wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 18:45

Collinge is 24, doesn't that put him out of the running for best young player? I'm not sure of the exact criteria but 23 is surely the maximum age to be considered young in football terms. I did forget about Kanu, he's been excellent – and Pritchard too. What a good team this is, when you stop and think about it.
Indeed yes, Danny does just miss out. It is a very good XI and a few more, far better than we've had a for a while.