Chairman's statement

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
letchbee94

Re: Chairman's statement

Nothing major but a positive update at least.
Doyley

I think that’s a very positive statement and guess that’s what WSP bring to the table
hoppy

I assume Sport England are involved in the consultation process because of its duty to protect playing fields.
In view of TK’s comments about him funding the build I doubt whether SE will be asked to help with the costs of building the new stadium.
beew

thebeekeeper wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 18:56
barnetpete wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 17:52 My only community concern at the moment is that of Barnet community projects who run out of and support the residents of Dollis Valley. They were being rehoused from the Rainbow Centre, the community centre on Dollis Valley to the old cricket pavilion. It had been plagued by delays as had been told the council had wanted to make the building a flagship for BarNET Zero. Being that the redevelopment of Dollis valley was being held up by the move I wonder what the plans are for them now.
This doesn't feel like an insurmountable obstacle. Surely the council could just insist that they have use of a few rooms under one of the stands, which can't be any worse than the cricket pavilion.
The Rainbow Centre have been waiting over 3 years to move into the Pavilion.

https://www.barnetsociety.org.uk/long-w ... luYm93Il0=

I'm sure they would be delighted if we could provide them with something special within the development.

This article is also Interesting.

https://www.barnetsociety.org.uk/dollis ... luYm93Il0=

It claims Barnet council were considering in 2018, building a large community centre and cafe with 66 carpark spaces at a cost of £11 million on the playing fields/cricket ground (that's how i read it).
peterstebbings

I’m delighted at the prospect of a return home but don’t view the latest statement as particularly positive.

Some assumed, me included, that TK would not have made the initial announcement without a good deal of work having already been done behind the scenes.

In fact, the update makes clear that this isn’t the case at all and that a lot of work is ahead to get this off the ground.

So why did he release such a bullish initial statement? Perhaps it was to drum up publicity and, knowing the interest it would generate, put pressure on the council from the off.
Sam_BFC

barnetpete wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 17:52 With the council’s key BarNET Zero pledge, surely we’d do no worse than engaging with Forest Green on making the stadium as eco as possible? Surely a great way to gain support from the council if we play to their pledge.
Princes Park Dartford too.

Per BBC:
The council has said the stadium would be one of the most ecologically sound ever built, with timber cladding, its own water recycling system and a grassed roof.
jerroll

if he wants Barnet zero he could re sign a certain Woking striker currently on loan at Braintree for a 3rd spell!
Doyley

Let me guess, he hasn’t scored any/many at Braintree either ?!
antbfc

hoppy wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 20:57 I assume Sport England are involved in the consultation process because of its duty to protect playing fields.
In view of TK’s comments about him funding the build I doubt whether SE will be asked to help with the costs of building the new stadium.
Sport England will also define a lot of the brief and set the standards needed for certain types of buildings on the site, so alignment with their requirements allows the council to know the proposals are credible.

The Pre App process allows us to understand the councils position on the development and allow them to understand what we are proposing in terms of sustainability, traffic analysis, energy usage, ecology, lighting impact etc, as well as the bigger question of is it even possible. Its not unlikely we will have to do a couple of pre apps, but spending that time with the council pays dividends.
thebeekeeper

peterstebbings wrote: 01 Mar 2024, 00:54 I’m delighted at the prospect of a return home but don’t view the latest statement as particularly positive.

Some assumed, me included, that TK would not have made the initial announcement without a good deal of work having already been done behind the scenes.

In fact, the update makes clear that this isn’t the case at all and that a lot of work is ahead to get this off the ground.

So why did he release such a bullish initial statement? Perhaps it was to drum up publicity and, knowing the interest it would generate, put pressure on the council from the off.
I suspect there's some truth to this. I (perhaps naively) also thought that we had 'unofficial' council backing for the development when it was announced.

After all, it's a big move to make without it - you're essentially condemning The Hive to always feel like a temporary home, at a time when at least some of the fanbase had got their heads around staying there long term.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like The Hive, primarily because of the location, and I'm delighted that this has kickstarted the Back to Barnet campaign once again. I'm just surprised that TK has played such a significant hand without having things sewn up behind the scenes to a degree.

As you say Peter, this latest statement suggests that's not the case, and I agree that it was probably to build support and put pressure on the council.

But - if that all sounds a bit negative - I'm still pretty positive that there's mileage in this. Yesterday's update indicates that we're going about things properly and thoroughly, and WSP's involvement bodes well. I'd rather have a heavyweight organisation with their experience running the show, rather than TK doing it all himself. In that sense this feels different to previous attempts to build a ground in Barnet, and I don't think they would have got involved with a hopeless / speculative project.

Crucially, I think it's also got an often somewhat divided fanbase coalescing around a common cause, and I think we can really make a big difference in this process, if we go about campaigning for it passionately and effectively (and early evidence certainly makes me think that will happen).
ETBee

From what a friend of mine who was in a senior position in planning a few years ago tells me this is typical of TK's approach to negotiating. Apparently he is confrontational, lays down demands and is unwilling to compromise. At that time the council were keen to help but he made it difficult for them to do so. If you want somebody's help it's best not to put their backs up I feel. This is what he seems to have done now.

Contrast this with the approach taken by Nigel Wray, Chairman of Saracens. He spend time getting to know the council did lots of schmoosing, as they say, and made it easy for the council to help.
thebeekeeper

ETBee wrote: 01 Mar 2024, 09:42 From what a friend of mine who was in a senior position in planning a few years ago tells me this is typical of TK's approach to negotiating. Apparently he is confrontational, lays down demands and is unwilling to compromise. At that time the council were keen to help but he made it difficult for them to do so. If you want somebody's help it's best not to put their backs up I feel. This is what he seems to have done now.

Contrast this with the approach taken by Nigel Wray, Chairman of Saracens. He spend time getting to know the council did lots of schmoosing, as they say, and made it easy for the council to help.
I do worry slightly that an unexpected announcement like this will have irritated the council, but equally it may have been necessary to push the process along a bit, so it's hard to tell without knowing more details about the situation.

Again, hopefully the use of an external company in the process will curb some of the instincts that you're talking about re: TK (if that assessment is accurate)- you would imagine that WSP have enough experience to know how to handle a potentially delicate application process like this. We also appointed Keith Ferry as a club vice-president back in late 2022, who is presumably having some input about how to handle council-related matters.
beew

beew wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 21:42
thebeekeeper wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 18:56
barnetpete wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 17:52 My only community concern at the moment is that of Barnet community projects who run out of and support the residents of Dollis Valley. They were being rehoused from the Rainbow Centre, the community centre on Dollis Valley to the old cricket pavilion. It had been plagued by delays as had been told the council had wanted to make the building a flagship for BarNET Zero. Being that the redevelopment of Dollis valley was being held up by the move I wonder what the plans are for them now.
This doesn't feel like an insurmountable obstacle. Surely the council could just insist that they have use of a few rooms under one of the stands, which can't be any worse than the cricket pavilion.
The Rainbow Centre have been waiting over 3 years to move into the Pavilion.

https://www.barnetsociety.org.uk/long-w ... luYm93Il0=

I'm sure they would be delighted if we could provide them with something special within the development.

This article is also Interesting.

https://www.barnetsociety.org.uk/dollis ... luYm93Il0=

It claims Barnet council were considering in 2018, building a large community centre and cafe with 66 carpark spaces at a cost of £11 million on the playing fields/cricket ground (that's how i read it).
I just googled ....barnet council community centre proposal underhill

Theres a a Council Pdf document 2015-20 that outlines the proposals for the Underhill community centre, that shows the site being identified as the cricket club. They propose this to pool the St John's Ambulance, Scouts and Rainbow centres into one large building, together with cafe and sports facilities. So Barnet council had a draft proposal to build on the greenbelt land but didn't go through with it. Money issues perhaps ? Maybe the delay in demolishing/rebuilding the Pavilion to rehouse the Rainbow Centre, is down to our proposals, which could incorporate all these charities at no cost to the council tax payers of Barnet. It would fit in with the timelines of TK claims for meeting the council post Covid?

Theres another PDF document from 2021-36 which outlines, the proposal again on P36 so its still part of their long-term intentions.

I can't attach the files as they're to big for this site to upload. 10mb and 60mb.
Devon_Bee

beew wrote: 01 Mar 2024, 13:02They propose this to pool the St John's Ambulance, Scouts and Rainbow centres into one large building, together with cafe and sports facilities. So Barnet council had a draft proposal to build on the greenbelt land but didn't go through with it.
I hesitate to say, but if they had gone ahead with this new large building on green belt land, that they'd of got planning for it with no problems...
b4life

thebeekeeper wrote: 01 Mar 2024, 10:36
ETBee wrote: 01 Mar 2024, 09:42 From what a friend of mine who was in a senior position in planning a few years ago tells me this is typical of TK's approach to negotiating. Apparently he is confrontational, lays down demands and is unwilling to compromise. At that time the council were keen to help but he made it difficult for them to do so. If you want somebody's help it's best not to put their backs up I feel. This is what he seems to have done now.

I do worry slightly that an unexpected announcement like this will have irritated the council, but equally it may have been necessary to push the process along a bit, so it's hard to tell without knowing more details about the situation.

Again, hopefully the use of an external company in the process will curb some of the instincts that you're talking about re: TK (if that assessment is accurate)- you would imagine that WSP have enough experience to know how to handle a potentially delicate application process like this. We also appointed Keith Ferry as a club vice-president back in late 2022, who is presumably having some input about how to handle council-related matters.
TK has spent the last 10 years (and more) waiting for the council to pull their finger out, including having them over to the Hive and also being in regular contact with them. How much longer should he have waited? It's time for the council to get off the fence and let us all know if they'll ever support the club coming back to Barnet.
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926