Chairman's statement

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
jerroll

Re: Chairman's statement

John Hunt wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 15:22
Anthony wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 15:10
barnetjohn wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 15:01 Tomorrow is the last day of the month so we shouldn't have long to wait!
Hopefully something gets up up soon, I am not sure my refresh button can take the strain.
Patience is a virtue!
i thought it was a Take twat song!
Anthony

John Hunt wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 15:28
Anthony wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 15:26
John Hunt wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 15:22
Anthony wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 15:10
barnetjohn wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 15:01 Tomorrow is the last day of the month so we shouldn't have long to wait!
Hopefully something gets up up soon, I am not sure my refresh button can take the strain.
Patience is a virtue!
I am still waiting for Paul Fairclough's promised monthly updates as PEPF was being redeveloped back in 2010!
The update is going to be a referendum as to whether or not we want to stay in Cannons Park or return to Barnet.
You can only vote by casting a ballot at the Hive on a non match day. Parking £75.
Beesting

Anyone got friends/acquaintances that are stayaway Barnet fans since we moved to the hive but have openly said they will return if the club do?
EastBarnetFan

A fair few. All really up for returning to Underhill.
jerroll

as promised! good to hear dialogue is starting.
barnetjohn

Itsmeerc wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 17:06 https://www.barnetfc.com/back-to-barnet-progress-update

As you were, really.
Yes. Very little news here. No extra information on key questions. Still very early in planning process.

All the questions I had before still there.
Tuesds

I’m surprised there’s been no mention, either by the club or in the media (nor social media from what I can tell) of what the site is currently used for. Does anyone know if the site, ie the old cricket ground, is currently used as the school playing fields? Or is the land currently unused?

As far as we know it’s still owned by the council, and presumably held on a long lease by the school, isn’t it? Derek mentioned earlier in this thread that the lease was assigned to the Education Funding Agency for the purpose of development of the school, so presumably it’s been taken on by the school itself?

I feel like I’m going mad here but is this not fundamental to this whole thing? Surely if someone else owns the land and has no intention, and potentially no option, of selling/leasing the land for use as a football stadium, all this talk about planning is academic? I’m not saying that is the case, it’d just be reassuring/good to know that it’s not or that we’re working on it!

I don’t live locally; has the school said anything in the local press/on social media to reassure parents that their playing fields are not going to be built over/will be replaced with alternative provision?
Last edited by Tuesds on 29 Feb 2024, 21:30, edited 6 times in total.
pgbee

As long as the application includes triple glazing, ground source heat pumps, solar panels and a wind turbine or two, should be no problem. Not forgetting habitats for wildlife of course.
barnetpete

With the council’s key BarNET Zero pledge, surely we’d do no worse than engaging with Forest Green on making the stadium as eco as possible? Surely a great way to gain support from the council if we play to their pledge.

My only community concern at the moment is that of Barnet community projects who run out of and support the residents of Dollis Valley. They were being rehoused from the Rainbow Centre, the community centre on Dollis Valley to the old cricket pavilion. It had been plagued by delays as had been told the council had wanted to make the building a flagship for BarNET Zero. Being that the redevelopment of Dollis valley was being held up by the move I wonder what the plans are for them now.
Last edited by barnetpete on 29 Feb 2024, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,
ninestein

I think the key thing from that message is that there are a lot of stakeholders involved in the consultation process, and we've perhaps recognised the need to engage with them all proactively at the start. The other good thing is the promise of a further update a month from now.

Regarding local community groups which are lacking in facilities, here's the opportunity to provide a base within the new building.

And yes, we could do a lot worse than pick the brains of Dale Vince at FGR to achieve a sustainable, carbon neutral complex which ticks all the right boxes from an environmental point of view.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
jerroll

As long as it doesn't end up selling birdseed instead of burned sausages!
ninestein

jerroll wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 18:28 As long as it doesn't end up selling birdseed instead of burned sausages!
I wonder which would be more nutritious...
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
jerroll

The food and drink at Forest green is a disgrace, discrimination for sure.
thebeekeeper

barnetpete wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 17:52 My only community concern at the moment is that of Barnet community projects who run out of and support the residents of Dollis Valley. They were being rehoused from the Rainbow Centre, the community centre on Dollis Valley to the old cricket pavilion. It had been plagued by delays as had been told the council had wanted to make the building a flagship for BarNET Zero. Being that the redevelopment of Dollis valley was being held up by the move I wonder what the plans are for them now.
This doesn't feel like an insurmountable obstacle. Surely the council could just insist that they have use of a few rooms under one of the stands, which can't be any worse than the cricket pavilion.