Big games tonight

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
hoppy

Big games tonight

Halifax v Ebbsfleet
Oxford City v Bromley
Rochdale v Boreham Wood
Wealdstone v Eastleigh

The results from these matches will set up a classic final Saturday. I’m glad we are not involved in these dog fights.
Tuesds

Re: Big games tonight

Expect Bromley to win, but if they do I hope they don’t rack up the goals. If they don’t overcome our +5 goal difference over them across tonight and their final game vs Gateshead, then a draw on Saturday vs Kidderminster will suffice for 2nd place. Not a huge deal in the scheme of things, as who knows whether 2nd or 3rd would result in the easier tie, but as a matter of pride it would be nice to finish as the very best of the rest after Chesterfield.
becbee

Would be nice for Oxford if they could get a result and guarantee us 2nd place finish. I'll be cheering for Eastleigh. But really it's just so good to be able to go into today and Saturday feeling relaxed.
jerroll

Come on Shaymen put those Shrimpers out of playoff contention!
ETBee

Things look tough for Aldershot after being in the play offs nearly all season.
BeesKnees99

Tuesds wrote:Expect Bromley to win, but if they do I hope they don’t rack up the goals. If they don’t overcome our +5 goal difference over them across tonight and their final game vs Gateshead, then a draw on Saturday vs Kidderminster will suffice for 2nd place. Not a huge deal in the scheme of things, as who knows whether 2nd or 3rd would result in the easier tie, but as a matter of pride it would be nice to finish as the very best of the rest after Chesterfield.
Not quite sure I believe in the idea of an ‘easier tie’.

If we want to be the best we need to beat the best, and any one of Solihull, Gateshead and Alty (can’t see Halifax getting there) will provide an equally difficult challenge.
rudebwoyben

I think that’s about right. They each present a different but equally difficult challenge. We just have to make home advantage pay.
BRFBee

Gateshead definitely the one I want to avoid but they'll all be tricky ties.
thebeekeeper

BeesKnees99 wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 11:53
Tuesds wrote:Expect Bromley to win, but if they do I hope they don’t rack up the goals. If they don’t overcome our +5 goal difference over them across tonight and their final game vs Gateshead, then a draw on Saturday vs Kidderminster will suffice for 2nd place. Not a huge deal in the scheme of things, as who knows whether 2nd or 3rd would result in the easier tie, but as a matter of pride it would be nice to finish as the very best of the rest after Chesterfield.
Not quite sure I believe in the idea of an ‘easier tie’.

If we want to be the best we need to beat the best, and any one of Solihull, Gateshead and Alty (can’t see Halifax getting there) will provide an equally difficult challenge.
It's certainly true that all three of those opponents will be tough - an in-form Altrincham, Solihull with the best away record in the division, or a Gateshead side who seem to have our number, based on recent meetings.

But I'd be intrigued to know who the management team would prefer to face, after analysing our performances against the above sides / from a tactical point of view. I wonder if it could be Altrincham, after how we performed against them at The Hive?

Personally I feel like playing Gateshead may be the best outcome, purely because of the volume of games they'll have played in the weeks before the semi-final.
John Hunt

Come on Oxford.
FCBFCSA Manager / Former committee member of BFCSA and BFCSA1926
becbee

thebeekeeper wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 14:42
It's certainly true that all three of those opponents will be tough - an in-form Altrincham, Solihull with the best away record in the division, or a Gateshead side who seem to have our number, based on recent meetings.

But I'd be intrigued to know who the management team would prefer to face, after analysing our performances against the above sides / from a tactical point of view. I wonder if it could be Altrincham, after how we performed against them at The Hive?

Personally I feel like playing Gateshead may be the best outcome, purely because of the volume of games they'll have played in the weeks before the semi-final.
We beat Altrincham very convincingly at The Hive but that was back on 9th September. Same day as Oxford beat Hartlepool 5-2 and were mid-table and Bromley were 9th. So not really relevant to how we might perform against them now.

Ultimately who knows?

Form table over last 10 matches shows Altrincham 1st, Barnet 2nd, Halifax 5th . Gateshead, Bromley, Solihull are all level on points in 8th, 9th, 10th place.
tonbridgebee

hoppy wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 08:15 Halifax v Ebbsfleet
Oxford City v Bromley
Rochdale v Boreham Wood
Wealdstone v Eastleigh

The results from these matches will set up a classic final Saturday. I’m glad we are not involved in these dog fights.
My popcorn is ready!

Personally believe Saturday will see the Wood-Fleet clash decide the final relegation spot.
mike_p

BRFBee wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 14:39 Gateshead definitely the one I want to avoid but they'll all be tricky ties.
Gateshead's away form is not good - over the last 6 away games they are 19th, they've only won one game.
hoofer2

BRFBee wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 14:39 Gateshead definitely the one I want to avoid but they'll all be tricky ties.
Altrincham with Conn-Clarke are my choice to avoid!
beew

hoofer2 wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 16:47
Altrincham with Conn-Clarke are my choice to avoid!
I think we'll play them at Wembley.