Gordon Ferry

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Reckless

Gordon Ferry

Really sad to inform those who didn't know but we have lost another member of the Barnet Family.
Gordon passed away peacefully at home on Sunday 14th April after battling dementia for a number of years.
Gordon, 80, truly was a quality footballer and I can remember my father saying after reading the Barnet Press in November 1968, I can't believe we have signed Gordon Ferry! He made 330 odd appearances mainly as a partner for Ben Embery in central defence but also as a hard tacking and strong midfielder alongside Barrie King and Gerry Ward. He also manged the club for a season later in his career. I visited him a few times in Welwyn Garden City, in a house that had one of longest back gardens ever. He would say I cultivated this to go a hide and get some peace and quiet when I wanted it! RIP Gordon.
I will pen a little biography in the next few days.
Gordon Ferry 2.jpg
Gordon Ferry 2.jpg (40.11 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
Gordon and Reckless.jpg
ricardobee

Re: Gordon Ferry

Rest in Peace Gordon. Part of a great defence with Ben Embery. Condolences to his family.
OB1
Location: Formerly Block C Underhill - Now block E East stand The Hive

Sad news indeed. To me he was one of the all time greats.
Prediction League Champion 2019/2020
FredBee

Such sad news. I used to do the school run and often saw Gordon picking up his grandchildren at the same time. Always took the time to say hello. Condolences to his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
magiovinium_bee

Such sad news, I played in the same school football team in Welwyn Garden City as Gordon’s son Rob. Rob was a cracking midfielder and the best player in our side.
When a discussion revealed that I supported Barnet Rob said that his Dad had played for them. Whilst I was too young to have seen him play for the Bees, I remember correcting Rob and saying “no he didn’t just play for us, he captained us at Wembley and was a true legend of the club.”
My condolences to Rob and the Ferry family.
pgbee

Sad indeed. In the first Barnet team I saw and was hooked. One of those players who often doesn't stand out but does nothing wrong. I thought Jimmy Lye was captain at Wembley but it was a long time ago...
John Hunt

Sad to read. May he Rest In Peace.
FCBFCSA Manager / Former committee member of BFCSA and BFCSA1926
JWTBee

A great player & a brilliant partnership in central defence with Ben Embery! One of my all time favourite Bees! Very sad. Condolences to his family. RIP.
I love Luisma & really miss his skils!
amberforever

Sad news. A well respected and remembered player.
Condolences to the family.
Roy57

Such sad news that one of our true greats has sadly passed away, thoughts to go his family and close friends at this sad time. RIP Gordon
Norfolkbee

I remember clearly the newspaper headline "Tom and Ferry foil QPR". RIP Gordon Ferry.
Chirpy

Sad news indeed. My abiding memory of him is when one of his contact lenses fell out and the whole team walked slowly up and down the pitch at Underhill looking for it. This was after the game so doubt it was recovered.
OB1

Norfolkbee wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 07:55 I remember clearly the newspaper headline "Tom and Ferry foil QPR". RIP Gordon Ferry.
Brilliant- now you have said that I remember it well.
Reckless

Here is a little piece that will hopefully be in the programme tomorrow.

GORDON FERRY 1943-2024
When this gentleman arrived at Underhill, players and supporters alike said "I can't believe we have signed Gordon Ferry!"

Sad to tell of another of the Barnet Football Club family who has passed away.

333 appearances, twice Player of the Year, club captain and a spell as manager is an exceptional CV at any club and certainly deserves the label of “legendary”. Gordon Ferry featured in our notable 1960’s and early 70’s team managed by Dexter Adams and then Tommy Coleman. A hard tackling centre half, great in the air but could also hold his own in a central midfield role, Gordon was originally part of a magnificent back four alongside Peter Jenkins, Ben Embery and Jimmy Lye. Gordon was a model of consistency at Underhill and certainly a terrace favourite.

Ferry was born near the docks of Sunderland in December 1943 and played at halfback for at his school. He joined Sunderland Boys and at 17 Gordon and another local lad George Armstrong were picked out by scouts from Arsenal joining the Gunners in 1960 and playing in the Juniors alongside future Barnet players Billy Meadows David Court plus Peter Simpson and Jon Sammels. Turning professional in January 1961 and as understudy to Ian Ure, Ferry played in countless games in the Gunners reserves finally getting his chance in September 1964 making his first team debut at Sheffield Wednesday before making a total of 11 appearances that season.

By May 1965 Gordon had moved to Leyton Orient under Dave Sexton and after two seasons at Brisbane Road had a successful spell with the Atlanta Chiefs in Georgia USA winning the NSL as a Player-Coach. “I spent the “Summer of Love” with my wife Dianne in America, it was wonderful”m he once told me.

On his return to England Ricky George put him in touch with Dexter Adams at Barnet and much to the delight of everybody at the club he signed up in November 1968. “I met up with so many old mates including the great Gerry Ward”.
His debut was in the 2-2 home game with Chelmsford City.
Line up – Barr, Lye, Thompson, Ferry, Jenkins, Ward, King, Quall, Powell, Eason and Meadows
Gordon’s greatest games in the Amber and Black shirt without doubt came in FA Cup ties. In January 1971 when Colchester United visited Underhill in treacherous icy conditions Ferry was supreme and was singled out by the national press. Two years later when we went head to head with the mighty Queens Park Rangers at Loftus Road, Ferry and Steve Tom were the kingpins and perfectly marshalled Stan Bowles and Don Givens in the Rangers attack.

I asked him about Wembley in 1972 and the FA Trophy Final against Stafford Rangers. “I have a medal that says I played there and I have seen the dodgy TV footage of the game and I know that we didn’t do our selves justice and were poor on the day. After what had been a season full of great football it should be crystal clear, but I honestly don’t remember much about the day at all. I have tried to remember but it is a blur, it flashed by. I can recall little moments like looking around the stadium before the game and sitting in the dressing room listening to Tommy’s team talk but little else.”
When Gerry Ward retired as a player and took over the Manager’s seat Gordon became team Captain at Barnet. He was presented with the Supporters Association Player of the Year 1972-73 for the second time in three years. When Ward resigned in March 1974 Gordon was invited by the club to take over as Player-Manager and accepted the challenge although he admitted he found it hard work. At the start of the following season Gordon was in charge of a squad that had lost familiar faces and added several new faces. Gordon revealed the club were having problems and we didn't have enough back up players when injuries arrived. “Those splendid teams of 1968-72 would have won trophies if only we had the addition of perhaps two or three more top players, that I have no doubt. When new manager Brian Kelly was taken on I reverted to a playing role but the good times had gone. I had truly loved playing for Barnet but all good things do come to an end sooner or later” said Gordon.

Gordon signed with Barking in 1975 for a year but soon family life started to call.
“My son was beginning to play and I thought to myself, I have had my time, now I must give time to my family. On reflection it was the right move as I have always thought that to keep playing well as you get older you have to be playing in a good side”.

After 15 years as a professional Gordon and his wife Dianne settled in Welwyn Garden City and into a normal routine very easily. His garden was his passion and I visited a few time he and Dianne were perfect hosts
Gordon's son Robert told me he had been battling dementia for a number of years and passed away peacefully at home on Sunday 14th April.
OB1

A lovely article, it brings back loads of great memories.