Solihull Moors (THTS) The Minging to Winning Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Mikel Bee

Re: Solihull Moors (THTS) The Minging to Winning Match Thread

What hurts most is how such a fantastic season went up in smoke with barely a whimper. At no point in that game did we ever look in it. Second best from start to finish. Solihull deserved their win and we showed nothing of what we are capable of. Gutting.

This will sting for a while. However every season under Deano has been an improvement on the last so I will be keeping the faith. It will be the euros soon and we'll have new, exciting players coming in.

One small comfort is looking at how northern L2 currently is. At least there will be plenty of local away days next season.
Jdk103

Seen some of the DB out brigade on social media. Can’t agree with that whatsoever. He's the right man to take us up next year
ricardobee

First thing that should be said is well done to Solihull. Yet again a Barnet side that didn’t turn up, hardly a shot in the game. Kabamba totally controlled by their defence, why was he alone? Kanu is just a one-trick pony, spends too much time on his back. Midfield not in the game. Not sure what the tactics were. Gutted, but there is always next season!
lm1589

How many semi finals have we now lost in a row since Peterborough \ Colchester League Two losses under Still?
National League / LDV Vans / FA Trophy - must be a record?!

I don't believe any team above us in the league pyramid hasn't been to Wembley since we were last there in the early 70s.
wearebees

Gutted, sometimes wish I didn't like football. How can something that's meant to be a fun hobby cause so much pain and heartbreak?!

Brennan and the team have done us proud this season, so it's a shame it ended like this. Didn't do ourselves justice though credit to Solihull.

It's all well and good having a big crowd but don't think it helped us. Then the fact so many left after 60 minutes, I'd prefer they didn't bother.

Don't understand why we took captain Gormon off. Him and Freeman the only ones who turned up.

I'm sure it's because it was raw and he was gutted but didn't see Deano come to the fans?! Probably annoyed it was half empty by the end. The players deserve more, I don't blame him. The season should be remembered for the whole season and not one horrible play off lottery.

He talked about miss chances changing the game but we barely had any. The defence froze for their goals, sadly Collinge had his worst game and was worried when saw Oluwu starting after so long out.

I liked that Deano talks about next season planning starting tomorrow already, though do think he should take a well earnt break, and reflect. Football is draining!

Bring on the Euros and next season.
BeeBoi1980

Only two of the starters can come out with any credit.
Kanu tried to carry the team forward. Yes sometimes he could pass earlier but at least he had a go whilst being double and sometimes triple marked.
And Kabamba got zero service. He tried to get stuck in with the Solihull defence, but was onto a loser the way we played.
Solihull really deserved that. We played so badly I don’t know what to think about next season, which is a crazy thing to say after scoring 86 points.
Yes the tactics were all wrong, but as a player does it take that much to have a go? Have come away confused as to where this team is.
At least it’s lucky for Barnet when the year ends in 5.
Roy57

Funny how supporters view things differentely, I follow Liverpool, and up until few weeks ago were pushing for the title, then for what ever reason the players and manager through away a great chance to win the league, sound familar, great for huge part then choaked at final hurdle. Selection, players under performing at vital time, it's what makes stops good teams become top teams.
WhetstoneBee

BeesKnees99 wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 19:53 Let me first say that I have a lot of time for this squad, who’ve given us some great moments this season, but as a self-confessed pessimist, even I could never have imagined the humiliation we witnessed today.

It was painfully clear from the outset that the players were crumbling under the weight of expectation. When the ever-reliable Hartigan misplaces that many passes you know the team is nervous. We looked shell-shocked by the early goal and never at ANY stage did we look like scoring. Even at 3-0 down we were pissing about with it. Nicke had no service and was utterly bullied by their CB.

Halifax, who were absolutely abysmal in the eliminator, were 3-0 down to Solihull on Wednesday and still managed to get within a hair’s breadth of getting it back to 3-3. The extent of our capitulation considering we finished SECOND compared to Halifax’s SEVENTH, is simply unforgivable.

Huge credit to Andy Whing and Solihull. That was, in my opinion, not just the perfect away performance, but the perfect performance full stop. Rock solid at the back, ruthless up front, playing with the kind of freedom that being the underdog allows. Osbourne is different gravy.

As for Dean Brennan, I’m afraid he’s developing something of a reputation for bottling the big occasion. Pritchard and Oluwo were clearly in no state to start the match. The subs were a joke. Freeman and Gorman should not have been taken off. Brunt made no impact. What was Brennan writing in his notes at Solihull on Wednesday?

I don’t actually feel angry. I feel embarrassed for the players and bitterly disappointed in Brennan, who I trusted to deliver a better outcome than last season’s shitshow against Boreham Wood. Suddenly that performance doesn’t seem so bad.

Once again, Barnet FC are the nearly-men. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

4,000-odd fans with not a single moment to cheer.

Gutting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A great post. Players and managers get judged on turning up when it matters. It’s all well and good delivering against the likes of Fylde and Kidderminster and when it’s easy, but if you bottle it when it matters most, you won’t have success as individuals or a team. That’s true in any walk of life. People can sugarcoat it all they like but that’s just the reality. In the last two seasons we’ve had incredible opportunities to really make history in league and cups and we’ve scorned all of them because we have a team - on and off pitch - that doesn’t deliver when it matters most.

Kanu today showed the sort of bravery and fight that was totally lacking in other players, some of whom put in their worst performances in a Barnet shirt. He proved that he has the mental attributes as well as the technical ones to play at a higher level. Based on today, that cannot be said for many others (with the possible exception of Cropper). It wasn’t just the lack of bravery on the ball, it was the lack of desire to get on the end of set pieces and crosses - with the exception of Oluwo’s chance early on, Solihull were first to every ball. There’s no excuse for that I’m afraid.

Solihull don’t have better players than us, they aren’t a better side than us. Their players just wanted it more, and as often happens in big games, their manager outmanoeuvred ours. Supporters have every right to be angry about that. This was our best opportunity at promotion in years and a chance to make memories for a lifetime by playing at Wembley. We would have got there had more of our players shown the spirit and strength required. Sport is ruthless, winners are ruthless - currently, I’m afraid, our team is anything but.

I see that DB has criticised the players post-match but he also has to look at his own record of getting it tactically wrong in big games. If he felt forced into selecting that starting XI based on injuries then fair enough, but it doesn’t explain the bizarre substitutions which, as so often in big games, made us even worse, or the failure to act earlier to change what clearly wasn’t working. Even Andy Whing said post-match that he was surprised at how much respect we showed them with our team selection. It was a mistake, as were the in-game changes. DB is superb at recruitment and building a team but in big games is sometimes found out tactically. Bringing in an experienced and astute assistant manager would help strengthen the management team IMO.

Ultimately we are back where we were last summer. Have we progressed? Well we’ve gone up three places. Does that count for anything if, as has been proven, we still don’t turn up when it matters? No. Today’s complete capitulation means it’s another season that will fade quickly in the memory and ultimately, for all the points in the board, another season of failure. There is a clearly a fundamental problem here - a soft underbelly and a lack of nous, resilience and mental strength that needs addressing if we are to ever do anything meaningful. So yes we can celebrate all the wins against mid-table and bottom of the table teams, or we can reflect on the fact that for two seasons we have, as DB said himself. bottled pretty much every big game: Newport, Gateshead, Boreham Wood last season; Chesterfield, Bromley and Solihull this season.

In footballing terms at least, this team was easily good enough to go up. They and the management team will all need to look at themselves and ask why they didn’t. Some pretty searching questions will need to be asked and answered. Today was a sign that, for all the positives this season, all lot needs to change for us to be promoted.
Mickbee

Is there another team that is so consistent in having a mental block when it comes to Semi finals? It's a mystery how a team that has scored goals for fun through the season couldn't force a serious save from their keeper.
I suppose there was a clue in our record vs top six sides.
Congratulations to Solihull they fully deserved it today, they did there home work, stop Kanu and defend long throws and you stop Barnet.
DB deserves a chance to develope this team further, it will need strengthening as I can see Kanu going. Anyway, the agony is over for another season. Have a good summer everyone.
Lostinipswich

Agree totally that the three at the back is a real issue for us...anyone watching us over the past month will have noticed how narrow the defence is and there is so much space to get around them.
Dagbar

Over the last few decades Barnet fc certainly have a habit of failing on the 'last hurdle' but this one today must be up there as the worst ever considering other than a fairly powerful shot cleared off the line what I believe was in or around the dying minutes of the game it was totally appalling! Fair play to the Moors they saw the Bees weaknesses and done a really good job there and Andy Whing in his first season with them must be up there with two finals in the next couple of weeks Non League Manager of the Year? and in Osborne who literally was the centre piece of this solid display shouldn't think they really care if i either Bromley or Alty! Do wonder where Damson Park would hold entering the EFL though?
BeesKnees99

Solihull Moors (THTS) The Minging to Winning Match Thread

WhetstoneBee wrote:
BeesKnees99 wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 19:53 Let me first say that I have a lot of time for this squad, who’ve given us some great moments this season, but as a self-confessed pessimist, even I could never have imagined the humiliation we witnessed today.

It was painfully clear from the outset that the players were crumbling under the weight of expectation. When the ever-reliable Hartigan misplaces that many passes you know the team is nervous. We looked shell-shocked by the early goal and never at ANY stage did we look like scoring. Even at 3-0 down we were pissing about with it. Nicke had no service and was utterly bullied by their CB.

Halifax, who were absolutely abysmal in the eliminator, were 3-0 down to Solihull on Wednesday and still managed to get within a hair’s breadth of getting it back to 3-3. The extent of our capitulation considering we finished SECOND compared to Halifax’s SEVENTH, is simply unforgivable.

Huge credit to Andy Whing and Solihull. That was, in my opinion, not just the perfect away performance, but the perfect performance full stop. Rock solid at the back, ruthless up front, playing with the kind of freedom that being the underdog allows. Osbourne is different gravy.

As for Dean Brennan, I’m afraid he’s developing something of a reputation for bottling the big occasion. Pritchard and Oluwo were clearly in no state to start the match. The subs were a joke. Freeman and Gorman should not have been taken off. Brunt made no impact. What was Brennan writing in his notes at Solihull on Wednesday?

I don’t actually feel angry. I feel embarrassed for the players and bitterly disappointed in Brennan, who I trusted to deliver a better outcome than last season’s shitshow against Boreham Wood. Suddenly that performance doesn’t seem so bad.

Once again, Barnet FC are the nearly-men. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

4,000-odd fans with not a single moment to cheer.

Gutting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A great post. Players and managers get judged on turning up when it matters. It’s all well and good delivering against the likes of Fylde and Kidderminster and when it’s easy, but if you bottle it when it matters most, you won’t have success as individuals or a team. That’s true in any walk of life. People can sugarcoat it all they like but that’s just the reality. In the last two seasons we’ve had incredible opportunities to really make history in league and cups and we’ve scorned all of them because we have a team - on and off pitch - that doesn’t deliver when it matters most.

Kanu today showed the sort of bravery and fight that was totally lacking in other players, some of whom put in their worst performances in a Barnet shirt. He proved that he has the mental attributes as well as the technical ones to play at a higher level. Based on today, that cannot be said for many others (with the possible exception of Cropper). It wasn’t just the lack of bravery on the ball, it was the lack of desire to get on the end of set pieces and crosses - with the exception of Oluwo’s chance early on, Solihull were first to every ball. There’s no excuse for that I’m afraid.

Solihull don’t have better players than us, they aren’t a better side than us. Their players just wanted it more, and as often happens in big games, their manager outmanoeuvred ours. Supporters have every right to be angry about that. This was our best opportunity at promotion in years and a chance to make memories for a lifetime by playing at Wembley. We would have got there had more of our players shown the spirit and strength required. Sport is ruthless, winners are ruthless - currently, I’m afraid, our team is anything but.

I see that DB has criticised the players post-match but he also has to look at his own record of getting it tactically wrong in big games. If he felt forced into selecting that starting XI based on injuries then fair enough, but it doesn’t explain the bizarre substitutions which, as so often in big games, made us even worse, or the failure to act earlier to change what clearly wasn’t working. Even Andy Whing said post-match that he was surprised at how much respect we showed them with our team selection. It was a mistake, as were the in-game changes. DB is superb at recruitment and building a team but in big games is sometimes found out tactically. Bringing in an experienced and astute assistant manager would help strengthen the management team IMO.

Ultimately we are back where we were last summer. Have we progressed? Well we’ve gone up three places. Does that count for anything if, as has been proven, we still don’t turn up when it matters? No. Today’s complete capitulation means it’s another season that will fade quickly in the memory and ultimately, for all the points in the board, another season of failure. There is a clearly a fundamental problem here - a soft underbelly and a lack of nous, resilience and mental strength that needs addressing if we are to ever do anything meaningful. So yes we can celebrate all the wins against mid-table and bottom of the table teams, or we can reflect on the fact that for two seasons we have, as DB said himself. bottled pretty much every big game: Newport, Gateshead, Boreham Wood last season; Chesterfield, Bromley and Solihull this season.

In footballing terms at least, this team was easily good enough to go up. They and the management team will all need to look at themselves and ask why they didn’t. Some pretty searching questions will need to be asked and answered. Today was a sign that, for all the positives this season, all lot needs to change for us to be promoted.
Just watched Andy Whing’s interview - fascinating to hear that they were “buoyed” by DB’s “nervous” team selection and the inclusion of Pritchard and Freeman and their “lack of pace”

He also delights in the fact they stopped Hartigan playing - and as we’ve seen over the season, if you stop Harts you basically break our whole system.

Also fully agree re Kanu, seemed the only one with any cojones today.

https://youtu.be/CgtkZ3mopJE?si=aDVu5sfqspF8Ygil
ninestein

The EFL will be welcoming a fresh new club next season. A fairytale story awaits for one of the 3 remaining sides.

As for us, it's still very raw, but the quicker we move on the better. DB talks about the rebuild starting tomorrow. I'm sure he already has his targets, and a plan to move certain players on.

There seemed to be an acknowledgement from DB that we have fallen short in big games. Quite what he does to put that right, I'm intrigued to see. If we can recruit this summer as well as we have done for the past two, next season should be a good one.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
MCB

I don't really know where to go with today. I'll avoid any knee jerk reactions and come back in August.
Doyley

I just dozed off and coming back round genuinely wondered if I dreamt that game.

My reflections include that When they scored their first even said maybe they have scored too soon, that was a crap suggestion!

We just didn’t turn up, not sure anyone comes out with credit. Don’t get the Kanu love for today, when he was out injured felt we were more unpredictable going forward, today he did very little with a final ball but every outlet ball was to him. Stead should have started, Freeman not good enough, Pritchard not fit, why oh why was Gorman taken off.

Just gutted with our lack of performance