Play Offs of the past...

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
MCB

Play Offs of the past...

So we're into our 7th (?) play-offs, and yet to progress to a final.

But this is our year, I'm convinced. The first we've been strong favourites, and we do have the 2nd best team (saying that all it takes is a dodgy ref decision to see our adventure end today). But before we create new memories - what are your memories of play offs of the past?

This is recommended viewing, my/our first play offs Vs Blackpool in the first season I started going. We absolutely trashed them, should have been 4-0. I seem to remember Jonathan Hunt being a surprise starter but was great, Spike Carters header that bounced down and over the bar, and then Stan Flashman launching into the team at the end threatening them all with the sack :Pardon:

https://youtu.be/HKhsFqRxo-8?si=sZgBVJTa2XtVz3Zk

Second mention to Mad Dog bringing on a very young Yak onto the right wing late in our game against Shrewsbury for an extra time cross for Simon Clist to put us 2-1 up. (That's my hazy memory anyway, beers were had).

Any special play off memories for you?
rudebwoyben

Re: Play Offs of the past...

That play-off 2nd leg seemingly taking all day with extra-time and penalties and us somehow hanging on until penalties. Simon Clint’s penalty save and going on the pitch after the concluding penalty from Salop.
Edd1

I remember the Shrewsbury away game vividly.

I was a mess afterwards. I’d been to a friends house party the night before and didn’t get to bed till 2am. The timing of trains from Cambridge meant either arrive in the nick of time for kick off or get up at 5am and get there about 4 hours early. So on not enough sleep and mildly hungover arrived dead early and attempted to revive myself with several real ales. All of that combined with the disappointment saw me later that evening slumped in a heap at Birmingham NS station between trains looking utterly wretched whereupon a couple of kindly Hereford fans spotted me and came to check I was ok.
rudebwoyben

Edd1 wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 10:37 I remember the Shrewsbury away game vividly.

I was a mess afterwards. I’d been to a friends house party the night before and didn’t get to bed till 2am. The timing of trains from Cambridge meant either arrive in the nick of time for kick off or get up at 5am and get there about 4 hours early. So on not enough sleep and mildly hungover arrived dead early and attempted to revive myself with several real ales. All of that combined with the disappointment saw me later that evening slumped in a heap at Birmingham NS station between trains looking utterly wretched whereupon a couple of kindly Hereford fans spotted me and came to check I was ok.
I remember that the trains between Wolverhampton and Shrewsbury were replaced by buses that day that lengthened the journey time even more.
I went up with some Shrewsbury fans I knew. They were fine to me afterwards, we both appreciated that it had been a very closely fought tie.
jerroll

MCB wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 09:35 So we're into our 7th (?) play-offs, and yet to progress to a final.

But this is our year, I'm convinced. The first we've been strong favourites, and we do have the 2nd best team (saying that all it takes is a dodgy ref decision to see our adventure end today). But before we create new memories - what are your memories of play offs of the past?

This is recommended viewing, my/our first play offs Vs Blackpool in the first season I started going. We absolutely trashed them, should have been 4-0. I seem to remember Jonathan Hunt being a surprise starter but was great, Spike Carters header that bounced down and over the bar, and then Stan Flashman launching into the team at the end threatening them all with the sack :Pardon:

https://youtu.be/HKhsFqRxo-8?si=sZgBVJTa2XtVz3Zk

Second mention to Mad Dog bringing on a very young Yak onto the right wing late in our game against Shrewsbury for an extra time cross for Simon Clist to put us 2-1 up. (That's my hazy memory anyway, beers were had).

Any special play off memories for you?
Very hazy as Dog had buggered off to Fake Bees and Paul Fairclough was in charge!!
MCB

:laugh: :doh:

Both that and the following season was a bit of a haze!
ninestein

That hot, sticky night in the away end at Layer Road. That was a tense match. 1-0 up from the first leg, but we had lost Devine to suspension. Colchester got that early penalty for handball, but then Warren Goodhind popped up with that goal right on half time to put us back in front on aggregate. Cue scenes in the away end. A goal up and 45 mins from Wembley.
The 2nd half seemed to go on forever. Kept watching the clock behind the opposite goal, willing the time away. Then Lee Howarth took their bloke out when through on goal and we were down to 10 men. We just couldn't hang on, and they levelled again to take it to extra time. The less said about what happened in that the better.
My feeling on the coach coming home was if we had made it, we'd have had to play the final with a depleted side. Devine, Howarth and Doolan all suspended. The likes of Billy Manuel instead!
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
amberforever

rudebwoyben wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 11:34

I remember that the trains between Wolverhampton and Shrewsbury were replaced by buses that day that lengthened the journey time even more.
I went up with some Shrewsbury fans I knew. They were fine to me afterwards, we both appreciated that it had been a very closely fought tie.
Bit hazy now that match. Seemed to go on forever! Did Hatchy get sent off or concede a penalty? Can’t remember!
Tuesds

amberforever wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 12:32
rudebwoyben wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 11:34

Bit hazy now that match. Seemed to go on forever! Did Hatchy get sent off or concede a penalty? Can’t remember!
Conceded a penalty for handball, in front of the away terrace. Smashed home by Thierry Henry’s future strike partner Luke Rodgers, I think.
amberforever

Yes! That’s it, right in front of us.
Shame the final shoot out was at the other end.
rudebwoyben

This is a play off memory I want consigned to the bin.
John Hunt

Out of all of the plays offs of the past 2024 was the worst. Straight into room 101 Ben.

Moving on ....
FCBFCSA Manager / Former committee member of BFCSA and BFCSA1926
letchbee94

Agree John.