Barnet retained list

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
BeeArmy22

Re: Barnet retained list

Norfolkbee wrote: 01 May 2024, 09:00 I wouldn't be surprised if Walker and Ashmore swap clubs.
No chance we go in for ashmore. Hasn’t been asked to play with the ball at his feet for years.
Norfolkbee

BeeArmy22 wrote: 01 May 2024, 09:03
Norfolkbee wrote: 01 May 2024, 09:00 I wouldn't be surprised if Walker and Ashmore swap clubs.
No chance we go in for ashmore. Hasn’t been asked to play with the ball at his feet for years.
Personally, I'd settle for a top keeper who stops the ball. Laurie would've probably have done the job for another season, but obviously DB has other ideas.
DerekRocholl

jamiefrbees wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 23:23 Agree it's sad re: Walker. He was Hendonesque in his passion both for the club and winding up opposing fans. He was at the heart of many a great win over the past two seasons.

He deserved another crack in the playoffs in my opinion but since Keeley had little to do other than pick the ball out of the net, maybe it spared him an embarrassing send off.

Keeley looked incredibly nervous, and indecisive, in the first half of the play off semi and looked like a disaster waiting to happen. Playing in front of a keeper like that it wouldn’t have been confidence building. He was as poor as anyone else in the side, which was a shame because he is obviously technically accomplished.

Not convinced Freeman or Coker are worth negotiating with too much. Coker always seemed fairly limited and the only game I saw Freeman make a significant contribution to was against already relegated Kidderminster. Unless Freeman has a major transformation in fitness I would hope any transfers in would make both back up players rather than regular first teamers.
BeeBoi1980

Is Ashmore that good? I'd be hoping for a little better.
WillesdenBee

BeeBoi1980 wrote: 01 May 2024, 11:10 Is Ashmore that good? I'd be hoping for a little better.
Agreed. He’s not that good. Conceded a lot of poor goals this season that you’d expect your keeper to save. Hope we don’t sign him.
BeesKnees99

Ashmore’s past it.

The only Wood signings I’d take are Sousa and Tshimanga.
becbee

Why would Laurie Walker ever consider joining Borehamwood? He can do better than NLS.
Tuesds

We’ll surely go for another keeper in the Keeley mould, ie one who is very comfortable on the ball and out of his goal. Eg Aidan Stone (released by Notts C) or Harrison Male (turned down deal at Dorking). Or another loan from a big club, where a young keeper is being schooled to be more comfortable on the ball and to plays as part of a more technical, possession-based team.

If we jettisoned Walker only to sign another keeper like him (and in Ashmore’s case no better than him) - ie a good shot stopper but not at all a ‘sweeper keeper’ - that would make his departure harder to take.
Itsmeerc

Tuesds wrote: 01 May 2024, 13:28 We’ll surely go for another keeper in the Keeley mould, ie one who is very comfortable on the ball and out of his goal. Eg Aidan Stone (released by Notts C) or Harrison Male (turned down deal at Dorking). Or another loan from a big club, where a young keeper is being schooled to be more comfortable on the ball and to plays as part of a more technical, possession-based team.

If we jettisoned Walker only to sign another keeper like him (and in Ashmore’s case no better than him) - ie a good shot stopper but not at all a ‘sweeper keeper’ - that would make his departure harder to take.
Exactly this. Ashmore at his best is a great shot stopper and time waster but the image of him trying to play as a sweeper keeper makes me chuckle.
EastBarnetFan

Whilst Walker might have had a few wobbles in early 23/24 campaign, I really feel like there is more than meets the eye with the split. Walker had actually performed really well in the 2/3 games prior to the initial dropping. Clean sheets, top saves and all sorts.

When it became clear that Keeley wasn't really all that better than Walker (slightly better in some areas but worse in others), we should have switched it back around. With hindsight it all felt rather unnecessary.
BeeArmy22

EastBarnetFan wrote: 01 May 2024, 13:54 Whilst Walker might have had a few wobbles in early 23/24 campaign, I really feel like there is more than meets the eye with the split. Walker had actually performed really well in the 2/3 games prior to the initial dropping. Clean sheets, top saves and all sorts.

When it became clear that Keeley wasn't really all that better than Walker (slightly better in some areas but worse in others), we should have switched it back around. With hindsight it all felt rather unnecessary.
I guess Dean had decided that we needed a change in goal and had keeley lined up before he played well in those 3 games. I admire Dean sticking to what he’d planned to be fair. Would’ve been easy to stick with Laurie after the Southend games but he kept to his principles.
jerroll

becbee wrote: 01 May 2024, 13:10
Why would Laurie Walker ever consider joining Borehamwood? He can do better than NLS.
if he was going to NLS surely he would go to Hampton as he was the reason Mel Gwynett came to Barnet in the 1st place!
dawat

To be frank seeing Walker go from a golden boy at the club previously to being a bit part player allowed to leave just doesn't feel right somehow! Faults aside, he always struck me as a nice guy who gave his best for Barnet and made some incredible saves at times. I hope he leaves with fond memories of the club and its fans and gets a good opportunity at a new club. I have a feeling if he stays in the NL he will come back to haunt us with some more incredible saves! I wish Laurie all the best for the future.
barnet_pls

BeesKnees99 wrote: 01 May 2024, 12:45 Ashmore’s past it.

The only Wood signings I’d take are Sousa and Tshimanga.
Chris Bush might be worth it .....
BarneyBee

I think Harrison Male from Dorking would be an interesting call. I watched a lot of Dorking on YouTube and he seemed like a great shot stopper and decent with the ball at his feet. I'd be a little concerned about his height as he seems very short for a keeper. I'd have kept Laurie personally....