Underhill Photo Memories

The best threads archived for eternal enjoyment.
BEEGONE

Re: Underhill Photo Memories

bromaner

Seeing that picture of the main stand reminded me of the elderly husband & wife who worked as stewards in the 1980s, making sure you paid your 50p to upgrade to the seats! Another random Underhill memory from that decade is seeing Barry Fry come on as a sub in a capital league game and score in front of the north terrace within a couple of minutes of coming on - only for it to be disallowed by some killjoy officials
Golf Delta

Thanks for the photos. Many happy memories as a kid of climbing up the floodlight (just a couple of feet) in the terrace where the family stand is now. No-one shouted at me then or threw health and safety regulations at me! I don't think there were any H&S regs in the early 70s, we used to climb up anything, even sit on the fence pitchside with out feet dangling over the pitch!

In the b&w photo, I can see my late grandparents house at the end of Elton Avenue on the corner of Mays Lane.
When you're arguing with an idiot, make sure the other person isn't doing the same.
South_Belfast_Bee

bromaner wrote:Seeing that picture of the main stand reminded me of the elderly husband & wife who worked as stewards in the 1980s, making sure you paid your 50p to upgrade to the seats! Another random Underhill memory from that decade is seeing Barry Fry come on as a sub in a capital league game and score in front of the north terrace within a couple of minutes of coming on - only for it to be disallowed by some killjoy officials
Absolute jobsworths! I'd kill for our manager to score a goal for us this season (rather than just claiming someone else's :wink:)
SouthBristolBee

Great photos and wonderful memories. Does anyone else recall attending a match at Underhill against Cambridge City in May 1972? It sticks out in my mind because I believe we quickly went 3-0 down and then roared back to win 8-3.

It was the last match of the season and I seem to remember watching the Cup Final on TV in the afternoon and then going to Underhill for this crazy game.
finchleyman

Dexter Adams scored a hat-trick - I sort of remember it but everything's such a fuzz these days. Must keep taking the pills. It wasn't Dexter Adams but another Adams - what was his first name? Picture below says it begins with L
Last edited by finchleyman on 22 Mar 2013, 14:39, edited 2 times in total.
Golf Delta

:hi:
Attachments
leseason-team.jpg
leseason-team.jpg (87.44 KiB) Viewed 11581 times
When you're arguing with an idiot, make sure the other person isn't doing the same.
Golf Delta

The good old days when you could stand pitchside.
Attachments
category_image_update_5f42127436afd0ff_1353928538_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg
category_image_update_5f42127436afd0ff_1353928538_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg (64.62 KiB) Viewed 11574 times
MatchingD

my memory is that people congregated on the north east corner for the quick getaway at the final whistle
Devon_Bee

MatchingD wrote:my memory is that people congregated on the north east corner for the quick getaway at the final whistle
I was one of those!
miguelito

finchleyman wrote:Dexter Adams scored a hat-trick - I sort of remember it but everything's such a fuzz these days. Must keep taking the pills. It wasn't Dexter Adams but another Adams - what was his first name? Picture below says it begins with L
Lou.
"Oh my god, he's attacking them!"
let_it_bee

Reckless wrote:Image

Lou Adams
His Mrs used to sit near us in the main stand when I was a kid, as of course did Steve Race (quite a famous musician/band leader at the time according to my parents, although I'd never heard of him as I was more into glam rock at that time).
Golf Delta

Criminal that Lou Adams was dropped in favour of Colin Flatt for the Trophy final against Stafford. :?:
OB1
Location: Formerly Block C Underhill - Now block E East stand The Hive

Devon_Bee wrote:
ninestein wrote:Nice to see the old clubhouse before it got mysteriously burned down
On information from my Dad, the old clubhouse was built by a certain semi-professional bricklaying goalkeeper, turned manager.

Anyone?

Kevin Blackwell.

I do hope my Dad's right, otherwise I've put my head above the parapet ready to be shot at! :laugh:
Me and a few other supporters acted as his labourers.
Prediction League Champion 2019/2020