Saracens 1st to hold minutes silence for Maggie....

The place for discussing anything in the world of football or other sports.
Moonchild_Bee

Saracens 1st to hold minutes silence for Maggie....

AFAIK they are the only professional sports team at the moment to have announced they are holding a minutes silence this weekend at Copthall.

Not making or encouraging political debate but found it almost farcical that it would be in Barnet!

I obviously misunderstand rugby as well - mind you all of the professional games i've seen have been in Wales, and I know the minutes silence wouldn't catch on their. I'm just amazed that any professional sports team would make such a divisive decision. Can't imagine every Saracens fans will be happy with this decision.
hoofer2

Re: Saracens 1st to hold minutes silence for Maggie....

I consider Saracens to be Mill Hill and not Barnet :)
Mikel Bee

Barnet Council and Saracens clearly have a close relationship with each other. I do wonder how much of this idea actually originated from The Burroughs. With the large amount of media attention already focused on certain parts of the borough, the local Tories will want to keep it that way to at least momentarily distract from the OneBarnet debacle.

*Removes tinfoil hat*
BFCST Official Rep

Moonchild_Bee wrote:AFAIK they are the only professional sports team at the moment to have announced they are holding a minutes silence this weekend at Copthall.

Not making or encouraging political debate but found it almost farcical that it would be in Barnet!

I obviously misunderstand rugby as well - mind you all of the professional games i've seen have been in Wales, and I know the minutes silence wouldn't catch on their. I'm just amazed that any professional sports team would make such a divisive decision. Can't imagine every Saracens fans will be happy with this decision.
I believe Exeter rugby club is doing it as well. Can't say I'm surprised about Saracens - in many ways this is a brand positioning thing for them - Maggie was after all Finchleys MP, they don't really have a fan base that will have experienced significant hardship as a result of Thatcherite policies, it has got them loads of media coverage and will help them to attract quite a few more well off types to Copthall.

I can't claim to be a supporter but until this announcement if someone had asked me to say which Rugby Union club I supported it would have been Saracens. I have been to support them on quite a few occasions but that is now a thing of the past for me - not because I hate Margaret Thatcher (I don't hate her, I hate Thatcherism) but because I find it appalling that the people who are running the club are seeking to gain brand advantage out of the divisiveness that underpins her ideology and memory.

Saracens have shown themselves up to be cuckoos behaving like vultures - f***k them !

This is of course a personal post not an official Trust opnion.

Derek